Scott Pollins writes:

>For example if a freshman receives an academic scholarship then decides
>that he wants the total college experience, walks on to a hockey program,
>plays he is now counted as one of the 18 hockey scholarships.
>
>The general mood is that this should help the smaller schools,but I fail
>to see how. In my opinon schools that must also consider academic ability
>coupled with athletic ability when recruiting this as to be a major obstacle.
>If the student-athlete is granted an academic scholarship why not let him
>take it and not count against the 18?

Why?  At the risk of being tactless, because schools will cheat.  They  will
stack their teams with flying forwards and bone-crushing defensemen on
"academic scholarships," then find another 18 performers to put on "athletic
scholarships."  The NCAA regulations on financial aid are probably the most
complicated part of the NCAA Manual (okay, next to the recruiting
regulations, anyway); a major reason is that some coaches and some schools will
not play by the spirit of the rules.  Because of them, the NCAA rules get more
& more complicated and absurd, as one loophole after another is discovered and
plugged.  Prop. 31 is simply one more reaction to another unintended loophole.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                                 BITNET:   ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                                     PHONE:  (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                                FAX:  (716) 888-2525