Dr. Steve writes ...
>Maybe I slipped a byte; anyway, haven't seen scores posted yet for:
>
>   Lake Superior v. Miami (Dexter consolation)
(and 2 others)
>Anyone have these results?

   LSSU beat Miami of Ohio 5-2 in the Dexter Classic Consolation game
   Sunday afternoon.  In a game played in a defensive style by both
   clubs, Miami appeared (to this observer) to be tired and did not play
   nearly as well as in the previous night's loss to Maine.

From today's Bangor Daily News:

LSSU         0 3 2 - 5
Miami(Ohio)  0 2 0 - 2

First period - No Scoring;  Penalties - Miami, Oates, holding, 9:59;
LSSU, Willner, holding, 13:49;  Miami, Vonlanthen, charging, 13:49;
Miami, Curley, slashing, 13:49.

Second Period - 1. Miami, Savage 17 (Blasi, Cook) 8:33;  2. LSSU,
Valicevic 8 (Barnes, Strachan) 11:44;  3. LSSU, Angelilli 3 (no assists)
14:22;  4. LSSU, Hendry 7 (Ness) 16:19;  5. Miami, Blasi 8 (Savage,
Bergeron) 18:05;  Penalties - LSSU, Mallon, hooking, 3:55;  LSSU,
Beddoes, interference, 7:37;  Miami, Mallon, highsticking, 10:07;  LSSU,
Angelilli, crosschecking, 18:37;  LSSU, Strachan, tripping, 19:04.

Third Period - 6. LSSU, Barnes 4 (Beddoes, Tallaire) 7:28;  7. LSSU,
Hulett 7 ( Barnes, Hendry) 18:07;  Penalties - Miami, Savage,
highsticking, 18:07;  LSSU, Trzcinski, elbowing, 18:49.

Shots on goal - LSSU  20 10 15 - 44
                Miami 10  7  8 - 25

Goaltenders - Lacher, LSSU; Deschambeault, Miami.

------------

Dexter Classic Tournament stars (it was hosted by Maine, folks):

MVP - Montgomery (Maine)
Goal - Dunham (Maine)
Defense - Barnes (LSSU), Imes (Maine)
Forward - Fenton (Maine), Ingraham (Maine), Ross (Brown).

Strangest sights (chosen by WTS from Sunday's games only) - tie,
(1) a 4-on-1 break by Maine into the Brown defensive zone, while Maine
   was shorthanded.  There were a *lot* of brown jerseys at center ice,
   and they might have had their own 4-0 break, but for Maine scoring on
   the play.
(2) an "almost" goal, on a rush by a Maine defenseman (Murphy?) while
   Maine was skating 2 men down ...  it came *|this*close| :-)

Happy New Year to all,
wayne

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]