>Sure sounds like a good guess to me.  ``Engineers'' is a pretty popular
>nickname. MIT and Carnegie-Mellon also have that nickname.
>
>Carnegie-Mellon's a *really* weird one: Their colors are, well, plaid.  Tartan,
>to be exact (actually, I think it's crimson and white, but you see tartan more
>than crimson and white if you walk around campus)  The school paper is called
>the Tartan.  And the mascot?  You know those little scottie dogs?  Yep.  Why?
>Well, because of Andrew Carnegie (car-NAY-gee) of course.  A Scotsman.  But as
>far as I know, none of the athletic teams wear kilts, except for the Women's
>Field Hockey team.  ;-)
>
>Carnegie-Mellon and Pitt are members of the Western Pennsylvania Collegiate
>Hockey Association of the ACHA.
>
>-Martin

Well, I know it's not really hockey-related, but I couldn't just stand (well,
actually, sit) by as misinformation about my alma mater was being
distributed.

Carnegie Mellon's (they dropped the hyphen in 1985 or 1986) teams are called
the Tartans, not the Engineers.  Yes, the mascot is a Scottie, and the paper
is the Tartan.  The school color actually is, officially, plaid (Carnegie
Plaid, supposedly, it makes for some very interesting attire at homecomings),
but the teams wear red and white.  Oh, and the Marching Band wears kilts.  In
keeping with the Scottish theme, bagpipe music is common at University events.

Oh, and Pittsburghers pronounce it car-NEG-ee (almost car-NIG-ee)

Just had to set the record straight.

Pam Sweeney
Carnegie Mellon '86
Go Gophers!!!