I think the key comment in Mike Machnik's remark is

"best players available"

If we were able to build a "dream team" of US born college hockey players I
would expect about half the team to be from the west.  The key factor here is
not where they play college hockey but where they played youth hockey.  I
now understand from some private communications that there is some ill feeling
between amateur hockey in Minn and USA hockey which may contribute to the
"players available" situation.  Maybe Tim Taylor can do a good job recruiting
and assemble a good team.

--steve rockey