Phil writes:

>I'm sure most of you have seen this occur to many programs . . . not only
>just in hockey.  What's the cure?  I don't know . . . I'm not even sure
>what the 'sickness' is . . . For a game, you see a 'flash' of the old
>brilliance, then it dies a sudden and bitter death.

I can remember the same thing happening at Michigan State in the late
1970's.  The last few years of the Amo Bessone era saw a MSU team fighting
to make the WCHA playoffs.  What it took was a coaching change.  I don't
think that Amo was willing to adjust his game to the evolving trends in
hockey.  Also, MSU was being out-recruited by Wisconson, Michigan Tech
and Minnesota.

This was the 'sickness' at MSU, and I am not saying that BGSU needs a
coaching change; however, I haven't seen any superstar players emerge
at BG in the recent years.  Is Bowling Green being out-recruited by
schools which haven't done well in the past??  Are schools like Miami
(recently) and U of Mich. (within the past 6 years) taking away the
Nelson Emersons, Gary Kruzichs', Brian Hills and Paul Ysebarts that BG
used to land?  Are we starting to see some league parity in the CCHA?
Just some thoughts.

Scott Preadmore
MSU Admin Info Services