Greg writes:
>Charlie writes:
>> *Is* there a Hockey Encyclopedia?
>What we need, of course, is a College Hockey Encyclopedia. It would
>be a labor-intensive nightmare to backfill all the years up until
>now, but after that, I think it would not be a killer data storage,
>retrieval, and formatting task.

There is such a thing; the 1989-90 Division I College Hockey Record
Manual.  I don't know of a more recent version.  About 3 years ago, I got
the details on how to order these from Kathy Walsh, who was the asst.
commissioner of Hockey East, but I have not seen anything about it
recently.  I know they got quite a few orders from h-l readers after I
posted the ordering information. :-)  I doubt the address to order then is
still valid since Kathy is no longer with the league, but at the end of
this post is an address where you might be able to obtain more information.

The Manual is 196 pages.  Here are parts of the foreword by Drew Finnie:

"...The idea for this project came in 1976 when work began on the
compilation of a hockey records book for the ECAC.  After a year's worth of
research, the manuscript was completed in the summer of 1977.  From then
until the summer of 1982, the manuscript was continuously revised and used
in-house by the ECAC Service Bureau.  However, lack of funds prevented the
Conference from making the book available to the public.

"In 1983, Lou Lamoriello, the former commissioner of Hockey East, became
interested in the project and suggested it should be expanded to include
Western college hockey.  Using the old ECAC book as a starting point, the
new manuscript was completed with the appropriate Western information in
July, 1983 and revised five times since.  The publication of the 1989-90
edition of the Manual is due in large part to the efforts of Kathy Walsh,
Hockey East's assistant commissioner.  [now former - mike]

"The 1989-90 Division I College Hockey Record Manual contains an extensive
account of the five existing Division I hockey leagues [including Ivy
League - mike] and includes past standings, scoring and goalie leaders, and
playoff information.  On a national scale, the book contains listings of
the all-time NC$$ Division I individual and team records, never before
available in one volume, as well as a similar listing for each of the two
NC$$ hockey regions.  There is also an extensive section on the NC$$
Division I Hockey Championship."

Despite there being a few mistakes, the manual is superb and like Drew
says, contains more info than you'd ever want to see. :-)

I would suggest anyone interested in obtaining a copy should write to Drew
and see if he can help.  His address as given in the foreword is:

Drew Finnie
College Hockey Record Manual
c/o College Hockey Statistics Bureau
124 Eastern Avenue, Suite 204
Manchester, NH  03104

This address was 3 years old, so if anyone knows if this is wrong, please
post.  From what Kathy had told me at the time, it sounded as if they still
had a lot of manuals left over, so you may still be able to get one.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*