1       2       3
Prince  2       0       0--2
Yale    0       1       0--1

First Period
        Scoring
1) 1 Princeton Morris (Sinson, Merkler) :43. PPG
2) 2 Princeton Sharp (Brown, O'Brien) 5:42. PPG
        Penalities
:19 Yale Brierley (hitting from behind); 3:44 Yale Weidenbach
(intereference); 8:38 Princeton Sharp, Yale Leroux (roughing); 9:03
Princeton Bigelow (????)

Second period
        Scoring
3) 1 Yale Yoshino (Emmons) 17:32.
        Penalities
3:54 Yale Nyberg (holding); 7:06 Princeton Smith (hooking); 10:44
Princeton Colquhoun, Yale Emmons (roughing); 10:49 Princeton Scowby
(elbowing); 14:06 Princeton Sears (elbowing)

Third period
        Penalities
1:23 Yale Brierley (hooking); 17:52 Princeton Sharp (interference); 19:40
Princeton Scowby, Yale Leroux (roughing);...then all hell breaks loose

Shots
        1       2       3
Prince  15      6       5--26
Yale    7       6       12--25

Power plays
Prince 2/4
Yale 0/5
(not counting the last 20 seconds...I think Yale had a power play with 4
seconds left)

Officials
Dell, Stewart; Hutchinson

        You know you're in trouble when the game is delayed 15 minutes
because there's a lake behind the Princeton goal, and a goal light doesn't
work. We're only an Ivy League institution after all--why should we do
things like check the goal lights BEFORE the game?
        The story of this game was Todd Sullivan and Rod Yorke. The two
goalies both played amazing hockey, but Yorke was truly outstanding. Yale
had three clean breakaways during the game. Yorke stuffed Jaime Lavish
twice, and Leroux just missed the net on the third. There were no weak goals
in this game.
        You kept wondering why Princeton was only 3-3. Last night they
played like a very well disciplined squad. Through the entire game, Yale's
vaunted top line (Leroux-Kaufmann-Lavish, which was 3-1-2 in ECAC
scoring before last night) was completely shut down. Our guys could not or
would not get open. Princeton was consistantly faster to the puck. In fact,
until the third period, they were just consistantly faster.

        The officiating in this game was really really god awful. The
second Princeton goal came on a power-play that was called on Weidenbach
for intereference. Yorke went behind the net and basically set a pick on
Weidenbach, who was under a full head of steam. Nothing against Yorke, it
was a great way to draw a penalty, because you know that the goalie will
get the call every time. Talk about a rule that should be changed. Either
say that you can't touch the goalie, period, or show that you didn't waste
all that money making the creases blue. When the  goalie goes
out of his crease, he should be fair game, IMO. If the NCAA doesn't agree,
then change the rules. But the situation now is just poor.
        It looked as if Stewart and Dell had control of the game until late
in the third. At 17:00, however, Chaisson of Yale was clothslined right in
the center ice circle. The proceeding non-call got the most immediate and
vicious fan response I've ever seen. The fans even booed the make-up call
a minute later. At that point, I think the players just lost respect for
the refs. The end of this game looked a little like a Bruins-Sabres playoff
series, for those of you who know what that looks like. In other words, it was
just ugly. Both teams play again in Princeton tonight...it should be very
interesting.
--
If I could do one thing                                     Rob Callum
I would try to write and sing              [log in to unmask]