Date: Sun, 15 Nov 92 16:17:27 -0500
From: sid (Robert Whitaker)

BU boxes, RPI tidbits

Sorry it took so long for me to get this stuff on--thanks to those who

have already given scores, etc.

Friday, November 13, 1992

at Walter Brown Arena

Northeastern (2-3)              2  -  2  - 0    -   4

Boston University (2-0-1)       3  -  3  - 3    -   9

Scoring: BU, Friedman (Pratt) 2:31; N, Taylor (Shields) 4:33; BU, Joubert

         (Donato) 12:39; BU, Pandolfo (Joubert, LaChance) 12:57; N, Shields

         (Taylor) 18:31.

2nd Period:

         N, Foy (Kelly, LaPlante) 5:27; BU, Sacco (Linna, Pomichter) 11:28;

         BU, Joubert (Pandolfo, LaChance) 14:06; BU, Pratt (Linna) 18:51;

         N, Foy (Melong, LaPlante) 19:05.

3rd Period:

         BU, Mark Bavis (Linna) 9:45; BU, Mark Bavis (unassisted) 15:42;

         BU, Friedman (unassisted) 19:50.

Saves:   N, Todd Reynolds, 24; BU, J.P. McKersie, 26.

Att:     3,168.

Mark Bavis and Jacques Joubert scored 2 goals each to pace BU to the victory.

I feel this game could have gone either way (it did Sat. night) as NU was

getting some great opportunities but little support from Reynolds in the nets.

Many of the BU goals came on what should have been routine saves, and on the

first Mark Bavis goal in the 3rd, Reynolds stopped dead in his tracks about

10 feet in front of the net and watched Bavis's low wrist shot sail right

by him. Credit NU for great speed up front--Shields and Foy both skated

circles around BU defensemen Rich Brennan and Mike O'Sullivan and on 2

plays would have scored if they hadn't missed the wide-open net. NU

also forechecked well and did a good job passing and setting up plays at

center ice. If not for Reynolds, this game would have been much closer.

Hats off to Mark Bavis and Jacques Joubert, who picked up the slack from

a rather lackluster peformance by Mike Pomichter. This may result from

the absence of Pomichter's linemate Mike Predergast, benched by Jack

Parker for skipping class earlier this week.

I didn't see the NU-BU game Saturday as I was at the RPI-Harvard contest,

but from NU's 2-1 win I have to think that the Huskies  will be contenders

for home-ice in March. If they can get solid goaltending from freshman

Mike Veisor (who had 35 saves Saturday) and steady improvement from

a weak defense to match their talent up front, don't underestimate these

guys.

BU's defense looked ok, and sophomore Doug Wood appears to be developing

his play after spending most of last season on the bench. However,

Rich Brennan will need to start playing with a little more concentration

if they want to keep things stable in the Blue Line Corps.

Here's Saturday's Box as well as a summary from today's Boston Globe:

Saturday, November 14, 1992

At Matthews Arena, Boston MA

BU (2-1)                0  -  0  -  1    --   1

Northeastern (3-3)      0  -  0  -  2    --   2

Scoring:

First Period: none.

Second Period: none.

Third Period:  N, Sheilds (Grossi, McGillis) 6:38; N, Grossi (MacNair, O'Connor)

16:48; BU, Mark Bavis (Sacco, Thornton) 19:52.

Saves: BU, Derek Herlofsky, 19; N, Mike Veisor, 35.

Northeastern snapped a 10-game losing streak to BU and handed the Terriers

their first loss of the season Saturday at Matthews Arena. It was the

first loss of the season for BU (2-1-1 overall, 1-1-0 HE) while NU imporved

to 3-3 overall and 1-1 in HE play. Veisor, of Simsbury CT, single-handedly

reversed NU's horrendous defensive effort over the last 3 games, which

saw the Huskies allow 30 goals, including 9 in the loss to BU Friday.

"I think we just woke up after that," Veisor said. "That was a reality slap.

Tonight was a big confidence booster." Veisor nearly became the first

Huskie goaltender to shut out the Terriers in 136 games since the teams

started playing 62 years ago. Mike Bavis ruined the bid with eight seconds

to play in the game as he one-timed David Sacco's feed from the left corner.

NU got some big breaks, unlike the Saturday game. Two BU goals were called

back, and a handful of shots rang the post.

The two teams play again at the end of February but could meet in the

Beanpot.

I've already seen a box for the RPI-Harvard game, so I'll keep this

short. Harvard showed they mean business after opening a 3-0 lead in

the second. RPI had trouble handing the puck, particularly in passing,

and gave the Crimson lots of high quality shots. RPI goalie Neil Little

played a solid game and stopped lots of 2 on 1's and even two breakaways.

Harvard frosh goalie Aaron Israel was not really tested until the 3rd period,

thanks to the hustle of the Harvard defense. I can't help but think that

Harvard coach Ronn Tommasoni made the team view the tape of last

March's 4-3 OT playoff win by the Engineers in Cambridge. The Crimson

played hard until they had a 4-0 lead well into the 3rd, when Wayne Clarke's

wrist shot somehow squeezed through Israel's pads. That seemed to give RPI

a boost, but Harvard stopped giving the Engineers power-play opportunities

and the momentum collapsed, allowing Harvard to hold onto a 4-3 win.

Referrees Stewart and Mellanson called penalties left and right, which

really broke the flow of the game.

--Sid

BU '94