"[log in to unmask]" writes:
>Last year, there was a thread going on about how BU folks always
>called the university, BU or Boston University but not Boston U
>and NEVER just Boston. Well, if that's the case, why does the Terriers'
>jerseys say just BOSTON on the front (home jerseys at least)? I've
>seen many BU sweatshirts that just said BOSTON on the front; I know
>their BU sweatshirts because they have a school logo on the front
>and a dog on the back.

They've always just said "Boston", even in the very old photographs I've
seen.  (One of which features Merrimack coach Ron Anderson celebrating an
NC$$ title with BU in the early 70s.)  I can't think of any other school
with "University" in its name that puts the "University" on the jerseys.

Both BU and BC have had teams for a long time, both starting in 1917-18
when their only game was against each other.  It's possible BC put the
"College" to set themselves off from BU, who left off the "University" for
the reason I gave above (nobody else does it).

The road jerseys are exactly the same as the home jerseys but with road
colors.  Anyway, trust me, no one in the know calls them Boston or
Boston U.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*