At last! A post gets through...
        I see that a report has already been relesaed about Friday night's
    game,so I'll just add a few notes...  Being the home opener,Friday night
    meant a few special ceremonies.  First,Scott Pellerin's parents and AD
    Michael Plozek were presented with a replica of the Hobey-Baker award
    Scott won last season.  Scott could not be present,and the retirement
    of #8 is on hold until he is able to attend a home game.  Just before

    the start of the second period,the two Hockey East banners were revealed
    (possibly the reason the team was so fired up and scored 6 goals...?).
    For the first time in my memory,the Alfond was not sold out.  People
    I have talked to attribute that to NESN(and on Saturday night to the
    Maine Broadcasting System) who covered the games live.  But I think a
    lot of people don't realize that not all the tickets are reserved or
    are bought at the time of distribution,so there is a chance to get
    tickets...

         Saturday night was completely different from Friday night...
    Providence came out and did what they wanted to do...slow the game down,
    and get UM out of its tempo...but I,personally,have a problem with the
    tactics they used.  Going back to last March for a moment(as painful as
    this is),Michigan State played a clean game to beat us,and deserved a
    victory in that game in Providence.  Last night Providence played chippy,
    and hit after almost every whistle blown.  In *MY* humble opinion,
    Providence did not even deserve this tie.  I'll give Providence credit
    for not surrendering after being blown out on the road,but as a fan of
    the sport,I hate to see things like I saw last night...

         Anyway,you could tell it was going to be a long night when Providence
    hit the post twice in the first two minutes.  The slow-tempo allowed the
    Friars to score first,as George Breen converted a Chad Quinneville pass
    into a goal 11:22 into the game.  But Paul Kariya scored 2 minutes later
    and the score was tied at 1.  With 2:30 to go in the first,Brad Purdie
    scored his first college goal to give the Bears a 2-1 lead.  Rob Cowan
    accounted for the only tally in the 3rd at 18:57 and the score was tied
    2-2 after 2.  Kariya scored 7:28 into the 3rd,and for a few minutes it
    looked like Maine was on its way,as the Bears peppered the Providence

    net,and sent several shots inches wide.  But you could feel the momentum
    had swung back to Providence after the Peterson/Ferraro incident I
    wrote about in my "summary".  And after Matt Martin was called for holding
    at exactly 10:00,Providence began a swarming Power Play,and at 11:31
    Cowan took a pass from Brady Kramer,and started a 2-1 which ended up
    with Scott Balboni putting the puck past Garth Snow,and the game was
    tied again,and would remain that way through regulation time.  In the
    OT only one shot found its way to the UM net,and Maine could not muster
    any.

           It was a disappointing night(then I return to the dorm just in
    time to watch the Braves blow the WorldSeries...but thats another topic).
    UM deserved a W,and Providence escaped with a tie.  I'll say that one of
    the good things about the game is that we have now played a good team
    at their tempo,and can learn from this experience...
            Injury Update:  Peter Ferraro returned to the game,and appears to
    be ok,except for those bruises...All players appear ready tp play.

             C-c-c-c-changes....

             Sophomore defenseman Jim Burcar announced on Wednesday that he
     was leaving the team. He did not make the list of top 6 D,and decided
     to try his luck with the Seattle entry into the USJHL.  Senior Goalie
     Rob Howland and Senior Forward Devin Mintz were removed from the active
     roster,to make room for incoming Freshmen and Sophomores...

             A note to the people who have written with questions about the
     team:  I'll be sending out responses tomorrow and Monday.  I have done
     some already.  The reason for the delay is that I have had a virus,and
     have been mostly in bed or at the Health Center for the past 10 days...

     so I ask that you forgive the lateness on this occasion...and I appre-
     ciate your inquiries...

        Scoring  Summary :

           1st Period:  Prov- George Breen (Chad Quennville,Joe Hulbig) 11:22
                        UM- Paul Kariya (Patrice Tardif,Dan Murphy) 13:36
                        UM- Brad Purdie (Peter Ferraro)
           2nd Period:  Prov- Rob Cowan (Chris Therien,Erik Peterson) 18:57

           3rd Period:  UM- Kariya (Murphy,P. Ferraro)  7:28
                        Prov- Scott Balboni (Cowan,Brady Kramer)  11:31

        Shots on Goal:         1   2   3  OT    Total

                       Prov    4   9   5   1     19
                       Maine   10  14 10   0     34

        Power Plays:  Prov  1/3   Maine 0/4

        Officials: Jim Fitzgerald,John Gravelese
                   Linseman: Mike Tuell

           Thats the news from Black Bear Country :

                                              John Forsyth
                                                 -Student Manager
                                                    UMaine class of 199?

          The views expressed are mine,and are intended to reflect only my
          opinion.  People who agree are either geniuses or idiots.
          You decide.