Today Jean-Yves Roy announced that he has agreed to terms with the New
York Rangers and only the official signing remains.  Jean-Yves told
Dale Duff during the Maine Alumni Hockey Tournament about his terms
in the $300,000 per year range.  Jim Montgomery said that he was very
happy  for JY,and thought it was the best move at this point in his career.
JY is the All-Time leading Scorer in UM history,and accomplished that in
 just 3 seasons for the Bears.

Today was the Final day for Week 3 of the Maine Hockey School,and we
were playing the Final Game when the rumor started that JY had agreed to terms
 During the award ceremonies, Asst. Coach Red Gendron announced that JY would
be skating in the Alumni Game tomorrow,as UM's most recent Alumnus.

Personally,I think JY made the right decision;knowing how he hits the
books(3.2 GPA and named to the All-Hockey East Honor Roll last year) he'll
likely come back in the summers and earn his degree.  I think he's ready
to take the next step in his career,having watched him progressfrom his
outstanding Freshman season,to the leadership he showed in the lockeroom
and on the ice last season.  Of course,thinking of having Roy and Montgomery
back for another season,combined with all of our other talents,there is no
doubt that we would finally win it all.  Without those 30-40 goals JY gave us
it will be a challenge;one that I'm sure the team will welcome.

A note on Alumni Weekend: Its been a great summer here at Alfond...
Several Alumni have returned including Eric Weinrich and Mike McHugh(both
also alumni of my HS,North Yarmouth Academy) Bob Beers,Christian LaLonde
Brian Straub,Scott King,Bruce Major,Andre Aubut(UM's First All-American)
and from the Class of '92 Keith Carney and Hobey Baker winner Scott Pellerin.

Thats the news from Alfond for now.

John Forsyth
NYA '91  UM  '9?