According to this morning's Wisconsin State Journal, the University of
Wisconsin Athletic Department has completed an internal investigation
of the incident after the champhionship game and has issued penalties,
which will be in addition to whatever penalties the NCAA issues:

(quoting from the State Journal:)

    *   Coach Jeff Sauer will recieve a written reprimand from the
        university for his failure to control the "inappropriate
	behavior of his team."

	"I have to apologize for the team and the way we handled
	ourselves," Sauer said Friday. I'm very disappointed in how we
	handled it. We should be above that, even if I do think there
	were extenuating circumstances."

    *   Players Blaine Moore, Maco Balkovec and Jason Zent will be
        suspended for the first regular season game next season:
	Moore for his verbal abuse of [referee Tim] McConaghy outside
	the locker room; Balkovec for his verbal abuse of McConaghy on
	the ice in the closing moments of the game; and Zent for an
	uncalled roughing penalty with 2 seconds left in the game.

    *   Bill Zito, a graduate assistant coach whom the university said
	verbally abused McConaghy outside the locker room following the
	loss, will be required to issue a public apology to the team,
	university, the NCAA and the teams participating in the
	tournament. He also must repay his transportation and per diem
	expenses for the games in Albany, NY, a bill estimated at about
	$1000 by UW officials.

    UW also was critical of seniors Joe Harwell and Duane Derksen for
    their "verbal abuse" directed at McConaghy, though they were not
    formally punished in the report.

    In addition, the UW publicly apologized to the NCAA and the other
    teams in the tournament for the hockey team's actions and said the
    hockey team will review its current code of conduct and make
    "appropriate modifications based on these incidents."

(end quote from the State Journal)

The article also mentioned that the University hopes that their actions
will be considered by the NCAA in determining the final penalty.

The article didn't mention it, but I think it important to point out
that the UW investigation began before the NCAA letter arrived. Also,
Athletic Director Pat Richter was out of the country from just after
the tournament until early this week.

	--david

--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department