I made some strong comments much earlier this season regarding the tactics
of the Ohio State team.  Most thought that these were too strong for
Hockey-L.  I've toned down my posts since then, including my previous
comments on this past weekend's Michigan-Ohio State series.  Now my blood
is boiling again.  The topic - Brian Loney's blindsided cross-check to the
back of the head of Michigan's David Oliver.  Oliver had to be helped from
the ice and is suffering from a concussion.

Michigan head coach Red Berenson, rarely one to speak out, had this to
say -- "It was a classic cheap shot.  You don't want to see that kind of
stuff.  There is no place for it in the game."

Ohio State head coach Jerry Welsh responded with, "...sticks were flying
and things like that happen."

No, Jerry, things like that don't just happen.  Loney's hit was a pure,
pre-meditated attempt to injure.  The only time THINGS LIKE THAT HAPPEN
is when Ohio State is in town.  Referee Steve Piotrowski gave Loney a
5 minute major for high sticking and a 10 minute misconduct.  This is
rediculous, but I imagine that's all that'll come of it.

Loney should be suspended for at least 5-10 games if not more.  Welsh should
be fired for condoning such "play".  Neither of these will happen.  But why
stop there.  If one really wanted to bring some class back to college hockey,
a good start would be to eliminate the Ohio State program until they have a
hockey team and not a street gang on ice.  Ohio State has been the dirtiest
team in the CCHA since I've been a fan and they've finally gone too far,
IMHO.  I was impressed with Loney until this past weekend.  A deserving
member of All-Rookie recognition, he looks to carry the Buckeye offense for
the next three years.  However, he will forever be the target of criticism
and worse in Ann Arbor.  If I were Mr. Loney, I'd think twice about coming
back to Yost next season.

On a final note, I'd like to thank all of the Ohio State fans that rained
coins down onto the ice during the third period Saturday.  We've added them
to the fund to IMPROVE our facility.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
Injured, but not out!