The four league playoff winners, who are guaranteed places in the
national tournament--do they get to stay at home in the regionals,
or can they be seeded low enough that they may end up going to the
other regional?  (In other words, is winning the playoff title totally
unrelated to tournament seeding?)  Is it imaginable that a team could
win a league playoff and yet not be even invited to the NCAA?

Also, on a more argumentative (and somewhat premature) front:  Mike
Machik and some others have suggested that NMU will probably be
seeded 5th or 6th in the West, if      the Wildcats do make the
tournament.  I'm not sure I follow this.  There's no question that
Minnesota's and Michigan's overall records clearly give them the
top two Western seeds.  But to me it appears there's very little to
choose from among the records of Michigan State, Lake Superior State,
Wisconsin, and NMU.  NMU's record against these competitors is at
least as good as any of the others', as well--the 'Cats are 2-2 vs
Minnesota and Wisconsin, 1-1 vs LSSU.  Mike, do you or the others out
there who have been analyzing the tournament possibilites have any
additional light you can shed on your thinking?  I would have to
think that particularly should NMU win the WCHA tournament they would
be in the top 4 in the West, and in fact should be seeded 3rd.  If
NMU finishes 2nd in the WCHA playoff I would also think they'd be in
the top 4 in the West, although I suppose if either Michigan State or
LSSU wins the CCHA tournament they could edge out the Wildcats for
3rd and even 4th in the  NCAA.        Of course, if NMU finishes 3rd
in the WCHA playoff I can see they would probably have to leave the
region, and if they finish 4th they could be deep puckey! :-)

                     *      Steve Christopher, NMU       *
                    *  "Go 'Cats!''Going for two in '92!" *