John Haeussler writes:

> I disagree.  I think that Wisconsin will make the 12 team NC$$ tourney,
> but not by much.  I believe that outside of Alaska-Anchorage there will
> be 6 western and 5 eastern teams.  Minnesota and Michigan are a lock.
> Northern Michigan, LSSU and Michigan State should be there as long as they
> make it past the first round of their conference tournament.  Wisconsin
> would be included in this bunch IF Derksen were healthy.  However, a strong
> showing by Western Michigan or a suprise winner in either the WCHA or CCHA
> tourneys coupled with a not-so-strong showing by Wisconsin would leave the
> Badgers at home, IMHO.  I think that Wisconsin needs to finish at least
> second in the WCHA tourney to ensure their berth.  I feel that Derksen's
> injury plus the fact the NMU are the defending national champs places them
> in front of Wisconsin in the eyes of the NC$$ (even though Wisconsin
> finished higher in the regular season).

I think you are right about Derksen's injury having an impact; I hadn't
thought of that.  I don't believe that NMU's defending champion status
will make any difference.  NMU and Wisconsin are even in head-to-head
competition.  NMU was 2-2 against Minnesota while Wisconsin was 1-3.
Wisconsin, however, beat Maine in December.  I think that Wisconsin can
finish as low as third in the WCHA playoffs and still make the cut, barring
surprise winners of the CCHA and/or WCHA tournaments.  I will generate
a new RPICH after this weekends CCHA and WCHA quarterfinals that should
make things a bit clearer.  Of the three teams (NMU, WMU, and Wisconsin),
probably only two will make it.

-- Erik