I thought a question had arisen as to whether the Independents were
guaranteed a slot this year.  Anyway, according to Neil Koepke in Wednesday's
Lansing State Journal, the 4 conference playoff champs get an automatic
together with 1 of the 6 Independents plus at least 1 other team from each
league.  Then 3 at-large selections are added.  Maybe this was clear to
everyone, but there was a question in my mind about the Independent.
  He considers Michigan, Minnesotat, Maine and Alaska-Anchorage as cinches.