Thanks to Sarah for sending this out!

This was the first time ever that BC was shut out of both the first and
second All-Hockey East teams, btw.

>The following were named to the All-Hockey East first and second teams:
>First Team
>
>    Mark Richards     Goalie        UMass-Lowell

Wow, I am impressed.  Richards is a deserving member, IMO, but I never
expected he'd get serious consideration.  I think this is a recognition
for both this season and for a brilliant career at Lowell; the guy has
had little help in front of him and so his numbers weren't too good, but
every time I saw him play, I left shaking my head.  He remained consistent
throughout the entire season even though his team dropped in the standings
due to injuries and weaker play.

>    Scott Pellerin    Forward       UMaine

My pick for Player of the Year.

>    Dave Sacco        Forward       Boston University

He's had a solid year, but I wouldn't have put him on my 1st Team.  BU's
success has been more due to the outstanding play of their freshmen, Sacco's
leadership and strong play not withstanding.

>    Tom Dion          Defenseman    Boston University
>    Mike Boback       Forward       Providence College
>    Rob Gaudreau      Defenseman    Providence College

No argument here on these three.  All three are possible Hobey candidates
with Dion ranking just behind the two Friars.

>Second Team:
>
>    GARTH SNOW        Goalie        UMaine

The times I've seen him, he hasn't had to be outstanding to get the win,
and the solid play of his skaters allows him to see most shots and to keep
many shots from the outside.  But you don't lead the league in GAA by being
a slouch, and Snow has had to bear the entire workload with Dunham off here
and there.  I like Richards as a First Team choice, and Snow as Second Team.

>    JEAN YVES ROY     Forward       UMaine
>    JIM MONTGOMERY    Forward       UMaine

There has to be some shock at these two not making the First Team.  That's
what happens when you score 80+ pts the year before and don't match that,
even though a big reason for that is the 34-game limit.  But in my mind,
Montgomery belongs ahead of Sacco on the First Team.  Roy on Second Team is a
fair call.  I suspect the overwhelming balance of the Maine forwards this
season and contributions by Pellerin, Tardif, Ingraham, etc. resulted in
these two "only" making Second Team.

>    CHRIS IMES        Defenseman    UMaine

Good to see him get some recognition this year, he stepped up to fill the
big shoes of Straub and Carney and did it well, along with his fellow blue-
liners.  A reason why Maine may go all the way this year.

>    Scott Morrow      Forward       University of New Hampshire

Another superb call, UNH's first non-goalie ever to be named.  All four of
UNH's big gun senior forwards have had outstanding seasons, but when you
watch the 'Cats play, you notice Morrow the most because he does the little
things and always comes to play.  I don't think I saw him have an off night
in the 8 or so times I saw UNH this year.

>    Kevin O'Sullivan  Defenseman    Boston University

A surprise to me, I would have expected PC's Chris Therien here.  O'Sullivan
deserves votes but Therien stablized that PC D when Gaudreau's coin came up
heads and he decided to rush in - and Therien had a fabulous season
offensively as well.

>On the the All-Rookie team are Boston University forwards John Lilley
>and Mike Prendergast and defenseman Rich Brennan, Boston College
>denfenseman Ian Moran, Providence College forward Craig Darby and
>Northeastern University goalie Todd Reynolds.

BU could have made it a clean sweep if you add F Mike Pomichter, D Kaj Linna,
and G Derek Herlofsky, all of whom had nearly as good seasons as the six
mentioned above.  But Darby is your Rookie of the Year, IMO (I believe that
is still to be announced).

>Coach of the year and player of the year will be names next week.

I like Lowell's Bruce Crowder for Coach of the Year, perhaps mainly because
he has done everything necessary to jump-start that program and get it
running again.  Everybody loves Bruce.  A close second possibility is BU's
Jack Parker for rebuilding his decimated team immediately.  Sentimental
favorite is Ceglarski, and he might deserve it for nearly getting a weak
BC team fourth place and home ice.

There are really only two serious candidates for Player of the Year - Maine's
Pellerin and PC's Mike Boback, with Gaudreau a probable third.  Pellerin
gets my vote.

- mike