Just a few thoughts from a (the Lone) Laker alum on the list.

	1.  I held my tongue after I saw the NC#$ seedings but now I have to
say this:  It seems to me that in the selection committee's eyes the CCHA
championship game meant nothing, or would they have seeded LSSU
fourth if they lost to U-o-M?  Why have championship tournaments if they
NC*$ ignores them.

	2.  Having said that, I think that getting the third seed in the West
was the best thing that could have happened to the Lakers.  Their goal
production has gone up considerably ( 15 gaols in 2 games).  I think that
Jackson was able to use the "snub" to motivate his players.

	3.  I think that Darrin Medely deserves the Hoby.  He plays for a
generally low scoring team.  Being a goalie myself, I can say that playing
for low scoring teams is particularly difficult because you can't have an off
night and expect that the team will make up for it.  Also, even though this
is his best year, a below 3 GAA as a sophomore is not so bad either, so I
think that he has proven that he's a consistently good goalie.

	4.  Somebody asked for overview of the schools that have teams in
the P squared.  I don't know about the other teams but I did spend 4 years
in the Soo.  Lake Superior State University ( or before 1988 Lake Superior
State College) is the smallest and cheapest state school in Michigan.  It's
located in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, at the northern-most exit off of I-75
(5-6 hours drive from Detriot).  The city of SSM, Michigan is a rather
depressing town of about 20,000 people.  There is no real industry and it's
only claim to fame is that it's the site of the world famous Poe lock ( I'm
not kidding, the chief engineer's name was Poe!)  Oh, I guess that the Soo is
also known for two other things.  It's one of the oldest settlements in North
America, and I believe that it still has the single season snow fall record of
about 260 inches set back in 1983-84.  Just across the border is Soo
Ontario, population 150,000.  There is a rather large steel mill in Soo
Ontario and on a good night the northern sky is bright orange from the
cooling slag pits.  LSSU started out as an extension campus of Michigan
Tech but in 1963 ( I think) the state legislators decided to make it a
separate school.  The campus is built on what was Fort Brady.  Most of the
old buildings are still in use.  For example, the freshman boy's dorm (yes
that's right it's not coed!) is the old enlisted men's barracks.  I spent my
freshman year in what was the saddle room.  LSSU offers liberal arts and
engineering degrees at the level of B.A. and B.S. and it now offers MBAs.
Most students study electrical engineering or nursing.  LSSU also offers in
state tuition rates to residents of Soo Ontario.  There really isn't much to do
in the Soo during the long winter except go to the Lakers games so
attendance is generally good even when the team isn't.  I was there from
1980-84 and I don't recall us having a particularly good team during those
years but most home games were sold out.  There is one NC*# national
championship trophy in the display case dated 1988 and at least one CCHA
regular season trophy as for other awards I don't know.  LSSU does not
have any other division I sports teams.  The Lakers play in the Norris
center.  Yes it's the same Norris as in the Norris division.  They donated a
boatload of money to build the place.  I don't remember how big it is but
something around 2,000 seats sounds close.

Hope that gives you a general idea about the fantastic job of recruiting
(lying) that has to be done to get folks to play hockey at LSSU!

that's all for now
aj	LSSC '84