Saturday, March 28, 1992 at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
NC$$ EAST REGIONAL - QUARTERFINAL GAME
Wisconsin Badgers (26-13-2)             2     1     2  -  5
St Lawrence Skating Saints (22-10-2)    1     0     1  -  2
FIRST PERIOD                                                       UW-SLU
1. UW1, Chris Tucker 13 (Brian Rafalski, Jason Francisco), 1:53.    1-0
2. SLU1, Chris Wells 14 (Eric Lacroix, Mike Lappin), 6:02.  PPG     1-1
3. UW2, Doug MacDonald 16 (Barry Richter), 19:18.                   2-1
Penalties: SLU, McGeough (elbowing) 2:44; UW, Nelson (roughing) 5:20;
 SLU, Meany (roughing) 5:20; UW, Plante (high-sticking) 5:20; SLU, Carvel
 (interference) 8:42; UW, MacDonald (hooking) 17:04.
SECOND PERIOD
4. UW3, Jason Zent 23 (MacDonald, Dan Plante), 18:12.  GWG          3-1
Penalties: SLU, Beattie (hooking) 4:26; SLU, Allain (hitting from behind)
 8:18; UW, Nelson (hooking) 15:02; UW, Rafalski (holding) 19:37; UW,
 MacDonald (delay of game) 19:48.
THIRD PERIOD
5. UW4, Blaine Moore 15 (Plante, Brett Kurtz), 12:56.               4-1
6. SLU2, Wells 15 (Dan LaPerriere), 14:14.                          4-2
7. UW5, Moore 16 (Kurtz), 18:54.                                    5-2
Penalties: None.
SHOTS ON GOAL: Wisconsin     11--6-13 = 30
               St Lawrence    9--7--7 = 23
GOALIES: Wis, Duane Derksen (20-11-2, 60:00, 23 sh-21 sv).
         SLU, Paul Spagnoletti (16-6-2, 60:00, 30-25).
POWER PLAYS: Wis 0 of 4.  SLU 1 of 5.
PENALTIES: Wis 6/12.  SLU 5/10.
REFEREE: Matt Shegos.  LINESMEN: John Dobrzelewski, John Edwards.
ATTENDANCE: 8,521.

GOAL DESCRIPTIONS
UW1, 1:53 1st: UW's Tucker sneaks behind an SLU defenseman and sits on the
 left post.  Rafalski has the puck down low on the right side and makes a
 pass across the slot to Tucker who one times a low shot past SLU goalie.
 On ice UW: Francisco, Tucker, Helgeson, Richter, Rafalski
 On ice SLU: Kapeller, Beattie, McCourt, Dent, Eric Lacroix
SLU1, 6:02 1st: SLU PP 5x4.  An isolated 2x1 develops.  Eric Lacroix has
 the puck on the right side, holds onto it and makes UW defenseman commit.
 Lacroix slides a nice soft pass across the crease to Wells who slams it
 by Derksen.
 On ice UW: MacDonald, Kurtz, Rafalski, Balkovec
 On ice SLU: Lecroix, Mike Lappin, Albert, LaPerriere, Wells
UW2, 19:18 1st: MacDonald receives a bounce pass off the boards from
 defenseman Richter in the neutral zone.  MacDonald goes down the left boards
 with a one-on-one.  He fakes cutting inside, holds onto puck and takes an
 off-angle shot that goes by Spagnoletti short side.
 On ice UW: MacDonald, Richter, Doers, Harwell, Kurtz
 On ice SLU: Wells, Massoud, McCourt, Chris Lappin, Carvel
UW3, 18:12 2nd: Bouncing puck off defender's stick on SLU blue line.
 MacDonald picks it up and UW has a 2x1 with MacDonald and Zent.  MacDonald
 slides the puck past a diving SLU defender and Zent slaps it home.
 On ice UW: Zent, Plante, MacDonald, Harwell, Shier
 On ice SLU: Terwilliger, Beattie, Massoud, Verbeek, McGeough
UW4, 12:56 3rd: UW with a 3x1.  Kurtz receives a pass as he is crossing over
 the SLU blue line.  Kurtz makes a touch pass to Plante as an SLU defenseman
 commits.  Plante makes a touch pass ahead to Moore who is headed for the
 net.  Moore taps the puck in past Spagnoletti.
 On ice UW: Plante, Moore, Kurtz, Nelson, Balkovec
 On ice SLU: Beattie, McCourt, Allain, Meany, Mike Lappin
SLU2, 14:14 3rd: Pass from deep in defensive zone.  LaPerriere fires a pass
 to Wells who is hanging at red line on left boards.  Wells skates in from
 left side and fires home a wrist shot to top right hand corner past Derksen.
 On ice UW: Mike Strobel, Doers, Fairchild, Mark Strobel, Rafalski
 On ice SLU: LaPerriere, Terwilliger, Wells, Carvel, Albert
UW5, 18:54 3rd: Kurtz clears it out of UW zone.  Moore beats two SLU
 defensemen in a race for the loose puck.  Moore breaks free and shoots.
 Spagnoletti makes initial save, but Moore scores on own rebound.
 On ice UW: Kurtz, Plante, Moore, Harwell, Balkovec
 On ice SLU: LaPerriere, Wells, Carvel, Chris Lappin, Albert

SLU QUOTES
Head Coach Joe Marsh: On reaching the quarterfinals - "A great tribute to
 the kids that we got this far.  We gave it all we had and certainly
 overcame a lot to get here."

 On Wisconsin shutting down offense - "They are really good at that.  They
 are very strong physically and we had a few miscues that cost us and you
 can't do that in a playoff game.

 They are a very good team defensively.  They certainly are a patient team.
 They capitalize on your mistakes and deserve to go to the Final Four.

 We had our chances, the chances were few and far between."

Senior D Dan LaPerriere: "We made more mistakes in our own end than they
 did.  They have a lot of talent on that team and we tried to keep up with
 them, but tonight they were the better team."

WISCONSIN QUOTES
Head Coach Jeff Sauer: "The fun part about all this is that nobody expected
 us to be here.  This is a great group; our guys never gave up and it's a
 fun way to get to the Final Four.

 Our philosophy is to build from the goalie up.  When you have a goalie like
 Duane Derksen, it's really easy to play in front."

 On penalty killings - "The key to the game was killing off the five on
 three to start the second period.

 Doug and Blaine's goals were great individual efforts, but different guys
 come through each night.

 I can't say I'm surprised that the Western schools have won as many as they
 have in the playoffs.  We are a tournament-tested team.  We went through
 the playoffs and won the games we had to.  Our league (WCHA) was very tight
 and it helped us in the post season."

F Doug MacDonald: On the ice - "It wasn't the best ice in the world, but we
 can't complain.  It was pretty good actually, better than Thursday night."

 On reaching Albany - "I thought from day one that we could get to where we
 are.  We've been building slowly, and our guys are loose and relaxed.
 We now realize we are only two games away."

F Brett Kurtz: On success in the playoffs - "Anytime we play in the league,
 the intensity is extremely high.  We've played with tenacity through the
 last six games and it prepared us for the tournament."

F Blaine Moore: "Our team wasn't supposed to be here.  We finished fourth
 [2nd! - mike] in the league.  We really came to play in the big games.  I
 guess it was fate that got us here."
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)