My impressions from Sunday night at the Joe. I have the official stats
and will type in what I can tomorrow, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Game 1, Minnesota vs. Lake Superior

LSSU dominated the first, opening up a 3-0 lead. UM had 4 shots on net
and 3 came on their only power play of the period. Yes, 1 shot in 18
minutes. Two Laker tallies were PPGs. Freshman Brian Rolston faked UM
goalie Jeff Stolp out of his jock and danced around him for the third
Laker score.

The first 17 minutes of the second belonged to the Gophers, but they
could only muster 1 goal on superstar goalie Darrin Madeley. The
Minnesota defense fell asleep a bit, however, and LSSU scored 2 goals
in the last 2:07 to build a comfortable lead, 5-1. LSSU held the shot
advantage 21-16.

Lake Superior put it out of reach early in the third. Two goals in the
first two minutes sealed it. Paul Constantin got his hat trick and
Rolston got his second. UM kept working, and scored once more on Madeley
and then once on back-up Blaine Lacher. Gopher's back-up Tom Newman also
played. The shot totals ended up 30-28, Minnesota, so you could say
goaltending was a big difference.

The ref was Tim MacConaghy (who?) from the ECAC. Minnesota was 2/6 and
LSSU 3/5 on the power play.

Game 2, Michigan vs. Northern Michigan

First, I must mention that John Gallagher was the ref and he calls
EVERYTHING. NMU had 6 power plays in the first period alone. 29 total
minors were called.

Each team had a 4-on-3 and a 5-on-4 goal in the first and that was all the
scoring.

Short-handed great Joe Frederick netted a SHG breakaway goal, but
Michigan scored on the same power play to again tie it. Then the
Wildcat offense got moving and tallied 3 straight, with Scott Beattie,
Jim Hiller and Frederick all getting their second goals of the game. UM
G Steve Shields would have had trouble stopping a beach ball at this
stage. But the turning point of the game was when David Roberts scored
a PPG at 19:59.5 to cut the lead to 6-4.

With some help from Gallagher (4 UM power plays in the period while
only 1 for NMU) and Shields (11 saves), Michigan was able to come back.
A 5-on-3 PPG early and a Denny Felsner top-shelfer at the halfway point
tied it up. The game winner came when Mike Helber hit the short side on
NMU goalie Corwin Saurdiff. Corwin had come out a bit too far and was
caught leaning to his left to cover the passing lane to an open Wolverine.

NMU ended up out-shooting the Blue 31 to 26 (on net) but Michigan led
57 to 50 on total shots attempted. UM was 5/12 with the man advantage
while NMU was 2/9.

The CCHA completes the weekend going 5-0 and advancing all 3 teams to
Albany. Quite an improvement over the past 2 years, when ZERO CCHA
teams made it to the semifinal round.