>                                              I find it hard to believe
> that they'd give up on it after just one year, but 3800?  ouch!

I heard on the radio during the Wisconsin-SLU game today that 3800
was the announced attendance for the Western regional but in
reality the attendance was closer to 2,000.  Obviously this is
something they heard from a reporter in Detroit, since they were
in Providence. Can anyone confirm that?

> >Mindbender of the week:  How did the NC$$ authorities figure out that
> >it is OK to telecast to Anchorage, but not to Minneapolis or Marquette?

Or Madison, or East Lansing. As Mark Grassl reported, one of the
Madison TV stations tried to cover today's game and was turned
down by the NCAA. According to the papers here, the NCAA
contacted them, through the school, yesterday. They lined up all
the advertisers, and then got a call back from the NCAA saying
the blackout was in effect for all games except Alaska.  Someone
(Laing Kennedy?) was on the radio between periods today, and he
said they had to turn them down because they had turned down
Maine's TV station, and they owed it to the local organizers.

Unlike our previous complaints about the NCAA, this one should be
targeted at the NCAA Ice Hockey committee -- they *totally*
fumbled the regional tournaments. I supported the format when we
discussed it last year (not that my opinion counts for anything
amongst the decision-makers), because I thought it meant they
were serious about making it a better tournament.

Why did they schedule the regionals thursday-saturday and
friday-sunday if they didn't expect to get regional TV coverage
of the whole thing? If TV wasn't a factor, wouldn't it have made
more sense to go Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun with BOTH regionals?

Fed up with the NCAA but happy for the Badgers,

	--david

ps: I am making plans to go to Albany....