Thursday, March 26, 1992 at Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
NC$$ EAST REGIONAL FIRST ROUND GAME
Wisconsin Badgers (25-13-2)          1     2     1  -  4
New Hampshire Wildcats (22-13-2)     1     1     0  -  2
FIRST PERIOD                                                      UW-UNH
1. UNH1, Scott Morrow 30 (Domenic Amodeo), 6:09.  5x3              0-1
2. UW1, Mike Strobel 3 (Brian Rafalski, Mike Doers), 8:47.         1-1
Penalties: UNH, Malone (hooking) 1:22; UW, Mike Strobel (roughing) 4:21;
 UW, Shier (slashing) 4:38; UW, Nelson (holding) 8:56; UNH, Mitrovic
 (high-sticking) 13:45.
SECOND PERIOD
3. UW2, Jason Francisco 8 (Chris Tucker, Jon Helgeson), 9:00.      2-1
4. UW3, Dan Plante 14 (Blaine Moore), 11:14.  GWG                  3-1
5. UNH2, Jason Dexter (Greg Klym), 17:48.                          3-2
Penalties: UNH, Stewart (high-sticking) 1:11; UW, Zent (high-sticking)
 2:35; UNH, Malone (high-sticking) 2:35; UW, Nelson (holding) 3:49;
 UW, Rafalski (interference) 12:03; UNH, Cooper (roughing) 15:21; UW,
 Mike Strobel (roughing) 15:21; UNH, Donovan (hit from behind) 18:07.
THIRD PERIOD
6. UW4, Doug MacDonald 15 (Joe Harwell), 19:50.  ENG               4-2
Penalties: UW, Nelson (interference) 0:36; UNH, Morrow (charging) 5:43;
 UW, Nelson (holding) 8:49; UW, Moore (high-sticking) 10:08; UNH,
 Mitrovic (high-sticking) 10:08; UNH, Poole (hooking) 12:00.
SHOTS ON GOAL: Wisconsin       7-10--8 = 25
               New Hampshire   8--8--7 = 23
GOALIES: Wis, Duane Derksen (19-11-2, 60:00, 23 sh-21 sv).
         UNH, Jeff Levy (19-12-2, 59:00, 24 sh-21 sv).
POWER PLAYS: Wis 0 of 6.  UNH 1 of 7.
PENALTIES: Wis 10/20.  UNH 9/18.
REFEREE: Steve Piotrowski.  LINESMEN: John Edwards, John Dobrzelewski.
ATTENDANCE: 5,327.

Goal Descriptions
UNH1, 6:09 1st: UNH on PP (5x3).  UNH controlling the play.  Morrow
 parked on right post.  Amodeo gets puck on left point and directs a shot
 across through the slot to Morrow who deflects it by UW G Derksen on the
 short side.
 On ice UW: Kurtz, Balkovec, Nelson
 On ice UNH: Mitrovic, Morrow, Flanagan, McGrath, Amodeo
UW1, 8:47 1st: Wis has a 2x1 with a trailer.  Rafalski has puck, Mike
 Strobel headed to the net.  Rafalski gets over the blue line, cuts to the
 left board and stops, looks for Strobel and threads a pass by the UNH
 defenseman.  Strobel receives the pass and fires a quick shot by UNH G
 Jeff Levy.
 On ice UW: Rafalski, Fairchild, Mike Strobel, Balkovec, Doers
 On ice UNH: Amodeo, Thomson, Stewart, Russell, McGrath
UW2, 9:00 2nd: Wis's Helgeson passes the puck from corner to Tucker behind
 the net.  Tucker skates puck from behind and passes to Francisco who slid
 behind UNH defenders in slot and one-timed the pass from Tucker.
 On ice UW: Francisco, Tucker, Helgeson, Richter, Rafalski
 On ice UNH: Mitrovic, Morrow, Flanagan, McGrath, Malone
UW3, 11:14 2nd: Moore takes puck into UNH defensive zone and holds onto
 puck, draws UNH defenseman with him.  Meanwhile, Plante is headed for
 right post.  Moore threads a pass through the UNH defense.  Plante shoots
 off the pass a hard shot right past goalie.
 On ice UW: Moore, Kurtz, Plante, Nelson, Richter
 On ice UNH: Donovan, Flinton, Poole, Schmidtke, Messina
UNH2, 17:48 2nd: UNH's Klym on defensive blue line passes puck to Dexter
 who had snuck past UW defenseman.  Dexter coming off the bench between
 red and blue line and catches the pass.  Dexter on breakaway, takes the
 puck in and dekes goalie and scores.
 On ice UW: Moore, Kurtz, Balkovec, Tucker, Richter
 On ice UNH: Klym, Chebator, Dexter, Russell, McGrath
UW4, 19:50 3rd: UNH pulls Levy.  Puck in Wis end.  Joe Harwell banks the
 puck off the right boards.  MacDonald reaches the puck first and slides
 it into the empty net.
 On ice UW: Plante, MacDonald, Richter, Harwell, Kurtz
 On ice UNH: Mitrovic, Morrow, Thomson, Flanagan, McGrath, Amodeo

WISCONSIN QUOTES
Head Coach Jeff Sauer: "I really thought that five on five, we had good
 control of things.  Coming in we were concerned about their four top
 forwards.  But, I think that maybe we surprised them with our third and
 fourth lines.  Numbers 25 (Fairchild), 27 (Mike Strobel) and 23 (Doers)
 really made it happen tonight."

 On Duane Derksen - "I thought Duane played very well.  He didn't have a
 lot of quality shots to stop, but this was the second game in a month
 and a half and he showed us what he is capable of."

Goalie Duane Derksen, on water bottle fiasco: "The water bottle flew off
 and swung around my wrist and I looked out and they were coming right at
 me.  Luckily, the puck went off Chris Nelson's pants."

Forward Doug MacDonald, on UNH: "They are a hard-working team...maybe a
 little young on defense, but they have some great forwards and deserve
 to be where they are.

 When we were five on five, we felt we could beat them, but I think to
 go further on in the tournament, we will need to stay disciplined and
 out of the penalty box."

Forward Brett Kurtz, on ice conditions: "We're used to this ice in our
 own rink.  We played on ice like this all year."

UNH QUOTES
Head Coach Dick Umile, on turning point in 2nd period: "I think we had a
 couple of defensive breakdowns in the second period and that became an
 important part of the game.

 We had a couple of opportunities to tie it up in the last few minutes,
 but they did a good job defensively."

 On ice conditions - "The conditions weren't great, but both teams had to
 play out there and that was a pretty good college hockey game."

Senior Forward Joe Flanagan, on play of Derksen: "He looked pretty good
 tonight.  We had our opportunities and had a lot of quality shots."

Senior Forward Savo Mitrovic: "As far as the effort is concerned, we
 couldn't ask for much more.  I thought we played a great game.

 If we played a little more defense in our zone, maybe we could have
 turned out more opportunities on the offense."
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)