On Fri, 20 Mar 1992 12:43:00 EST Larry Latour said:
>P.S. 2:  (No pun intended)  Could somebody please explain Parker's
>role in the NCAA selection committee to me?  Does he excuse himself
>when the committee discusses BU? (Ha Ha)  Does anybody on the committee care
>whether or not a bias exists.  I've heard so much about this that I
>would like someone to set the record straight.

Believe it or not, you're more accurate than you think.  This was explained
to us last year when Cornell was offered a bid to the NC!!s, despite having
lost in the semi-finals of the ECAC tournament.  Laing Kennedy, Cornell's
Athletic Director, was (and still is, I believe) the CHAIRMAN of the NC??
selection committee, and it seemed a bit fishy to us (although we weren't
exactly complaining) that the Big Red got a bid they didn't seem to deserve.

Apparently, when a member of the committee is from the school that is
being discussed at any given moment, he is not only denied a vote on
the matter, but is not permitted to take part in the discussion.  I'm
doubtful as to whether that means he's asked to leave the room, but the
system is as fair as possible, considering that the committee consists
of representatives from individual schools.

--
Jeffrey "BJ" Anbinder '91                   [log in to unmask]
Assistant Program Director, 93.5 WVBR-FM    [log in to unmask]

"Oh, my God!!  Someone stole my moustache!!"
                   - Jeffrey Anbinder