I wrote originally:
>Now I'm *doubly* confused !!  Since when are goals "waved off" if scored
>unintentionally off a defensive player, whatever the man-up/man-down situation
>on the ice ??  [the USA caught a HUGE break here, IMHO]

Dave Cohrs <[log in to unmask]> replies:
>You didn't pay close enough attention.  The delayed penalty was _against_
>USA.  When the USA defenseman touched the puck, the whistle was blown.
                               ~~~~~~~
>The puck _then_ went in the net, but by that time, play had stopped.

  No, I understand that the penalty was against the USA - what I don't under-
stand is why the goal was waved off when scored off a USA defenseman who
merely *touched* the puck.  As I understand (or think I do) the rules as
regards play stoppage following a delayed penalty, the team committing the
infraction must regain *control* of the puck from the opposing team before
the whistle is blown for a face-off, not just *touch* it.  In that sense I
agree with your next statement:

>The only controversy was whether the official should have blown his whistle
>as quickly as he did.  But once it was blown, no goal could be scored.
>_That's_ why the goal was waved off.  Play had already stopped.

   Since CBS choose not to show a replay :-( of this contested goal, my
impression was that the "goal" was scored on a deflection, i.e., "touch"
by a USA defenseman off the initial shot.  If no other Polish player is
involved before the puck goes in the net, then shouldn't the goal be
allowed ??  After all, the US never regained "control" of the puck ....
I've personally seen a number of such goals scored in similar situations
over the years, and had to explain to friends that the goal was allowed
because the defensive team had to do more than "touch" the puck to get
a whistle and face-off. The key, of course, is the subjective interpretation
of "control" of the puck ....  All you referees (Kenny ??) out there - how
do *YOU* interpret "control" in this situation ??  To me, it implies
uncontested play of the puck *on the stick,* not a carom off a body or yes,
even a defenseman's stick.  Am I seriously mis-interpreting this rule ??

>BTW, this is completely different from the comment made concerning the
>pulled goalie.  Anyone have access to an olympic hockey rule book?

   Yes - I only mentioned them together since this was the situation when
the commentators chose to once again inform us that the Poles could not
score into their own net.  I'd always guessed that Olympic/International
Rules were somewhere "in-between" collegiate and NHL rules, but now I'm
wondering whether they're closer to the spirit of the NC$$ or NHL rulebook.

   Still wondering here on the banks of the Chesapeake - Jim