> [Bill Guerin on Herb Brooks in Sports Illustrated]
Jim love writes about Bill Guerin's comments regarding Herb Brooks (in
_Sports Illustrated_):
> "He told me his story.  I started thinking about
> playing for Herb Brooks.  There are a lot of kids like me who play hockey
> because of what he did with that team in '80.  In a lot of ways, he *IS*
> U.S. hockey."  [emphasis SI]
>
> Now, more than ever, the effort needs to be redoubled to convince the NC$$
> to christen the Ice Hockey Championship Trophy the "Bob Johnson Cup" as has
> been discussed here over the past month or so since Bob's untimely passing.
> Not to demean H. Brooks' accomplishments, but IMHO there is only one man
> who deserves to be spoken of as Guerin did above - and it's not H. Brooks.

Don't get me wrong.  I agree that Bob Johnson has probably done more for
in the US college hockey than has Herb Brooks.  Don't, however, tell me that
Brooks doesn't deserve comments such as Guerin's.

Like it or not, a *lot* of the people who have been involved in amateur hockey
during the last decade were there because of Herb Brooks or his 1980 Team USA.

While I think it would be fitting for the trophy to be named for Johnson.
I am not a proponent of the cause.  In all things like this, it is better
to honor the dead for their accomplishments, and not for the emotion that
runs so high following shortly their deaths.
--
Steve "Sluggo" Allen-Shinn
Brown '82    GO BRUINS!!!