Greg writes:
>Nor have I, after attending (at last count) 135 ECAC games. The only
>thoroughly unacceptable goonery I have ever even heard about in an ECAC
>game was lovable Kev Melrose's infamous performance in the last game of
>his Harvard career (against Brown, if I remember correctly) - and since
>I wasn't in the crowd that night I'd have to call my impressions
>heresay, and thus inadmissible.

I recall listening to this game on the radio.  Melrose was eligible for only
the first half of the season following Harvard's 1989 national championship,
I believe because he had spent half a year with a national team somewhere.
It was a little odd that he would be playing his final game in the middle
of the season.  Anyway, he came out for his final shift with about three
minutes left and received a standing ovation from the fans, and what
happened?  He drew a double minor for roughing and spent the remainder of his
last game in the penalty box.  Kind of fitting. :-)  He did provide Harvard
with an added dimension of toughness it doesn't always have, in the year of
their championship, and I thought he played a big role for them - his cheap
shots aside.  We were talking about this at the Beanpot and so it's interesting
that you brought this up.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com