Another short box....

Tuesday, February 25, 1992 (Bowling Green Ice Arena)
MICHIGAN (26-6-3, 20-6-3)           1   0   1     2
BOWLING GREEN (8-18-5, 7-17-5)      1   0   0     1

FIRST
1-BG Brett Harkins (Martin Jiranek, Peter Holmes)    PP 11:22
1-UM David Oliver (David Roberts, Brian Wiseman)     PP 16:59

SECOND
None

THIRD
2-UM Wiseman (Patrick Neaton, Denny Felsner)            13:12

Saves: UM/Steve Shields    7-8-9=24 (60:00)
       BG/Will Clarke     10-9-9=28 (59:19)
Power Plays: UM 1/4; BG 1/7
Penalties/Minutes: UM 7/14; BG 4/8
Three Stars: 1) Wiseman 2) Shields 3) Clarke
Referee: Perry Petterle
Linesmen: John Dobrzelewski, Larry Lulich
Att: 2907

Another good defensive battle, with very good goaltending, too. Yet again, BG
was able to rise to the level of their competition and put on a good show
against a top-notch team.

Looking at the shot charts, I'd say Michigan had the higher quality
shots. Clarke saved 3 from in the crease area in the 1st and 6 from
in the slot in the second. Shields was only really tested in the third
when he saved 4 from in the slot, but he looked much better than
he did the last time UM was in BG.

The BG power play looked dis-organized at times. They still
managed some excellent chances with the man-advantage but were
unable to bury the biscuit to take the lead.

One turning point in the game came at the half-way point of the third.
BG had a rush up ice and Shields made the save. The rebound was sent
back toward the net (I think a Michigan player knocked it there) and
everyone started cheering when the goal light came on. But wait. The
referee was signalling NO GOAL. From his actions, it looked like he
thought the puck never went in, but later he claimed to have blown the
whistle before the puck went in. Shields was sprawled across the goal
line, so I couldn't see where the puck was. After the game, I talked to
someone from Michigan who was sitting at the goal line and he said the
puck clearly went across the line and then Shields pulled it back out. I
could not find anyone who heard the whistle.

The referee tried to make it up to BG with a questionable tripping call
on UM, but when the score is 1-1, a goal in the net is better than an
opponent in the box.

Anyway, Michigan popped in a rebound a few minutes later and BG was never able
to mount any decent pressure the rest of the way.

Last time BG played Michigan, the Falcons got the lucky bounces and were
able to win. UM got the calls this time and won. Also, UM played much
better last night than they did in the first series.

BG is off until next Tuesday when they travel to Yost. Michigan visits
Ferris State this weekend, so BG fans will suddenly be rooting for the
Maize and Blue.

In other CCHA action, Michigan State defeated Ferris State in Big Rapids,
3-1.

Keith