Results from some mid-week Division III games:

Tuesday, January 21:
     Amherst 9, Nichols 2
     Elmira 18, Scranton 0
     Fredonia State 10, St. Bonaventure 2
     Geneseo State 6, Cortland State 4
     Mankato State 8, Gustavus 0
     North Adams State 4, American International 1
     Norwich 6, UMass-Boston 4

Wednesday, January 22:
     Elmira 11, Binghamton State 0
     Hamilton 5, Hobart 2
     UMass-Dartmouth 10, Quinnipiac 1
     Oswego State 7, Brockport State 2

Elmira's two romps were about what was expected, as Scranton and Binghamton
are the worst teams in the ECAC West with a combined 0-20 ECAC record (2-25
overall).  A few notes:

Elmira 18, Scranton 0
     If nothing else, this result shows that the gap between the good and
     bad teams in Division III is even wider than it is in Division I.
     Scranton was not in the ECAC West last year, and I think they may have
     recently moved up from club status.  So how bad was it?  Well, Elmira's
     top line of Joe Spinelli, Bernie Cassell, and Matt Weir basically
     picked Scranton apart.  Cassell scored five goals, tying the Elmira
     record set by Jeff Cristina in 1978 (and also tied by Weir against New
     England College earlier this season), and he also added a pair of
     assists.  Spinelli had a goal and five assists, while Weir tallied once
     and had six assists.  You want to know how REALLY bad it was?  All
     three players left the game after the second period -- and the Soaring
     Eagles STILL scored seven times in the final twenty minutes, including
     a hat trick by Bob Holmes.  Elmira coach Glenn Thomaris sat out several
     of his regulars; two of the replacements were seeing action for the
     first time all season, and a third had played only briefly in a game
     earlier in the month.  Backup goaltender Dave Laudato got his first
     shutout of the season.  Elmira outshot Scranton 70-17; Scranton's Eric
     Dobrzynski made 32 saves in the first two periods before giving way to
     George Bosack, who stopped 20 shots.

Elmira 11, Binghamton State 0
     Well, at least it was a little better for the Colonials than last
     year's 19-0 embarrassment.  Binghamton goalie Jeff Randazzo played
     pretty well, recording 60 saves as his team was outshot by a 71-15
     margin.  (Geez, 141 shots on goal over two games -- that's a good month
     for Cornell)  Bernie Cassell had a hat trick to push his season total
     to 30 goals (in 19 games), and Joe Spinelli, Luc Larose, and Randy
     Murphy each scored twice.  Elmira's Dave Laudato picked up the shutout
     for the second straight night.
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]