If this appears twice, I'm sorry.  Someone picked up the phone just as I sent
the first message and I think it was lost.

Anyway, S. Christopher asks a question about assists.

It has been my understanding that the last two players to touch the puck before
the person scoring the goal are credited with assists.  This is why he has
noticed that the only unassisted goals come when the last player to touch the
puck before the goal scorer are members of the opposing team.  Thus, it does
not matter when the players touched the puck before the goal was scored as long
as a player of the opposing team does not touch it in between.

I have always considered most goalie assists to be "cheap" simply because he
can get an assis for a little dink pass to a player who then makes an
end-to-end rush and scores.  The goalie really had little to do with setting up
-the goal.  (Although, there are times when he may make a great play on the
puck to get it up ice and may deserve the point.

My apologies to Shane for apparently mistakenly correcting him as to the
nickname of the Brown Bears.  After several years in the Ivy League and even a
few friends at Brown, I a have only heard Brown referred to as the Bruins.  Any
Brown alums out there wish to comment?

For now, I stand sat upon. :-)

BTW, Colgate beat Cornell 5-4 tonight.  Apparently, Cornell decided to go to
sleep for a few minutes in the second and gave up three dumb goals.  I'll
allow those who were there to tell the rest.  Thanks to Bill Sangrey for the
report.-

Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95
Let's Go Red!