At Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
Friday, 1/17/92

Union        0 1 0 1 - 2
Dartmouth    0 0 1 0 - 1

Scoring:
1st Period-
none.

2nd Period-
1) Union, Goulet 1 (from Ferrero and Railton) 3:53

3rd Period-
2) Dartmouth, Fraser 4 (from Ocken and Fehm) 0:14

Overtime-
3) Union, Ferrero 9 (from Railton and Whitney) 4:50

Shots on Goal: Union 10-8-14-4--36, Dartmouth 13-13-17-3--46

Power Play: Union 0 of 2, Dartmouth 0 of 4.

Goaltending: Union, Villa (W, 2-4-1)(46 shots, 45 saves)
             Dartmouth, Guetens (L, 1-6-0)(36 shots, 34 saves)

Attendance: 1017

Craig Ferrero's goal with 10 seconds left in overtime gave Union a 2-1
win over Dartmouth for it's first-ever ECAC win, and pulled the
Dutchmen out of last place in the ECAC.  The other hero of the night
for Union was freshman goalie Luigi Villa, who stopped 45 of the 46
shots he faced.

The first period started with neither team able to generate anything.
Dartmouth got a power play at 6:38, and was able to get a few good
shots on Villa.  Numerous other chances, though, were shot wide, or
not shot at all.  Following the power play, Union was able to control
play a bit more, with the help of a power play of their own.  Union's
defense played well, even though they allowed 13 shots in the period.
The period ended scoreless.

The second period opened with Union dominating play.  It payed off
when Dean Goulet's first goal of the year gave Union a 1-0 lead at
3:53.  With the help of a two power plays, Dartmouth controlled the
game for several minutes.  Union's Greg Eccleston had to pull down
breaking Dartmouth players after being beaten, leading to the 2 power
plays.  The move paid off, though, as Union was able to kill off both
penalties.  Union got its own power play when Tim Cregan's shorthanded
attempt was broken up by a trip from Roussan.  Union couldn't break in
on the power play, though, and the power play unit was frustrated.
Ferrero pounded his stick against the boards as he skated off
following the unsuccessful power play. Dartmouth had a 2 on 1 chance
broken up by Matt Kelley near the end of the period, and the period
ended with Union's 1 goal standing up.

The Big Green only took 14 seconds to tie the score in the 3rd period.
Scott Fraser skated past Kelley almost right off the faceoff and came
in alone on Villa.  Union was soon called for a too many men on the
ice penalty, and Dartmouth had another chance on the power play.  They
hit a post just a few seconds in.  Tim Cregan came in on a shorthanded
break, but was stopped by Guetens.  Dartmouth was unable to get any
more pressure on this power play, finishing the night 0-4 with the man
advantage.

The first 2 1/2 periods were what you'd probably expect from the
bottom 2 teams in the league.  Passes were missed, lots of icing and
off sides calls.  But no one wants to be in last place.  Union picked
up their play midway through the period, as they got good shots from
Bill Railton and Cregan.  Dartmouth came in on a break with about 6
minutes left, but Villa made 2 incredible saves, one with an
outstretched leg, the other with the glove.  In the final minutes of
regulation, each team had some excellent chances to win the game.
Villa was outstanding, stopping all 16 shots he faced after allowing
the goal at the start of the period.  Union almost won the game with
47 seconds left.  Rick Clifford's shot was deflected into the net off
Chris Albert's skate.  The goal light went on, but the goal was
quickly disallowed, as the linesman said that Albert intentionally
kicked the puck in.

From the way the overtime period went, it was clear that neither team
wanted to tie.  Both teams were thinking offense, and each got some
help from their goaltenders to keep the game going.  The final 20
seconds of overtime, as described by Ken Schott in this morning's
Schenectady Gazette:
---
	The winning goal was vintage Ferrero.  With 20 seconds left
and the faceoff just inside the Dartmouth zone, the Dutchmen's fifth
all-time leading scorer beat Tony DelCarmine to the puck.
	"The faceoff was just three feet inside the blueline," Ferrero
said.  "I knew I couldn't win it back, because we obviously would have
had to clear out (of the zone). Rail (Bill Railton) looked at me and
goes, `Don't be afraid to take the chance.'  I just wanted to go
through the eye with it and hopefully push the puck ahead and maybe
Rail would get it."
	Instead, Ferrero broke in on Guetens, who made the save.
Ferrero collided with Guetens as the puck lay in right in front of the
net.
	Railton was the first player to reach the puck.
	"I was hoping that, if he didn't score, I would have a chance
at a rebound," Railton said.  "when he shot it, the goalie slid to one
side and the puck laid on the other side of the net.  I just ran at
the puck as hard as I could.  I wanted to stuff it at first, but one
of the guys came on me.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Craig and
I just pushed it out there."
	Ferrero, standing five feet away from the net, ripped the puck
past Guetens for the emotional victory.  It's especially sweet for the
seniors, who have suffered through the growing pains of Division I
hockey.
	"We've been great for three years," Ferrero said.  "This has
been a tough year.  All our spirits are up."
	"I saw the puck go into the net with 10 seconds left.  It was
just a great feeling."
---

Union has played better games this season.  Unlike the Yale game, a
tie would have been very disappointing to the Dutchmen.   Union is now
1-9-1 in the ECAC, 2-11-1 overall, and Dartmouth is 1-8 and 1-12.  The
Dutchmen will host RPI next Saturday at Achilles Rink at 7:00 PM,
before what is sure to be a sellout crowd.  It will be RPI's first
visit to Achilles since Union's 4-3 overtime win that started off the
careers of this year's seniors.
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |