Regarding the high expectations of the '84 and '88 teams, If memory serves,
the '88 team was seeded 7th and finished 7th. I believe the seedings were
based on results from the previous year, as opposed to somebody's
subjective opinion. But by at least one measure, they met expectations
exactly.

Regarding SI's criticism of Dave Peterson's selection as coach over Herb Brooks
I heard an interview with Herb Brooks on the radio where he stated that he
wasn't a candidate. Hockey USA wanted one coach for both '92 and '94, and
Brooks wasn't willing to commit to that length of time.

Bob Schwartz

P.S. And I'm sure being rude to the press doesn't help :-)