Robin Lock Writes:
>                His stick is definitely in the crease and his body is
>leaning over it but its doubtful that his skates are over the line. A final
>question: What exactly constitutes being in the crease and does it matter
>if your opponent helped to put you there?

I do not have my rulebook here with me, but I have officiated enough to
believe that I understand this rule, plus I am a goalie, so it relates to me.

First of all, there are two things to remember:

(1) If the puck is inside the crease, it effectively does not exist, that is
    anyone may enter the crease to get the puck, regardless of which team
    the player is on.
(2) If the goalie is not in the crease, then again the crease effectively
    does not exist.

As to what constitutes being in the crease:

(1) The player must go in on his own, that is without "help" from an opponent.
(2) Technically, being in the crease means ANY portion of the player's body
    this includes all equipment, skates AND stick.

Remember, this is a difficult JUDGEMENT call, which has to be made by the
official.  He must not only determine if the player is actually in the crease,
but also if he was pushed in by a palyer on the DEFENDING team.  By nature,
this usually means that there is quite a mess in front of the net.

That is the rule, as I understand it. I am sure Kenny Z. can check his rulebook
for its validity.

-Ryan Stone
 Lawrence University (Appleton, WI) '93
 Rensselaer '93

RYAN G. STONE                        "An individual can make a difference,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute      a team can make a miracle."
e-mail: [log in to unmask]                           - 1980 U.S. Hockey Team