Brian Farenall writes:
[...]
> Is it an official
>"sport" according to the NC** or is womens' hockey a "club" activity?
>
>Another question, will womens' hockey be an Olympic sport anytime soon?
>I know Canada won the 1st womens' world championships over the US. One
>advantage Canada had was talent pool. Canada has over 40,000 womens' hockey
>players while the number in the States is near 3000.

I believe the de facto "NC** championship" for women's hockey is the ECAC
championship, since that's where almost all the teams are.

I saw an article on rec.sport.hockey from Andria Hunter, who's a former UNH
player, current U. Toronto player, and an invitee to Canada's national team
tryouts.  I think she mentioned something about trying to get women's hockey
as a demonstration sport for the 1998 Olympics.  I'm not sure if Andria is on
this list or not.  If you are, Andria, speak up! :-)

>Can anyone in New Hampshire confirm this for me: a local paper said that
>UNH womens' goalie Erin Whitten (an alumna of my high school) was named
>to the US Womens' National Team. She was the first (as so far as I know,
>only) female ever to play boys' hockey in our HS league. She was very
>good to, leading us to the state semifinals.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.  Andria posted the US women's roster, and
several UNH players were on it, including Whitten.

Chris
Go Blue!