Keith scoops:
>BC, UMLowell, UNH, PC and
>BU, Maine, Merrimack, Northeastern.
>
>(The coaches/ADs set up these divisions based on past performances of
>each team.)
>
>Why would HEA want 4 more non-league games? Just speculation, but I'd
>say they feel they are a strong league and will be able win the majority of
>these extra games, thus improving their chances of getting in the NCAA
>tournament.

First, thanks to Keith for sending this out.

Has anyone else noticed that this seems to be stacked in favor of the teams
that are perennial contenders?  I think what Keith says about being "able to
win the majority of these extra games, thus improving their chances of getting
in the NCAA tournament" is absolutely correct.  What a sly way of doing it!
Insure that your contenders will play their extra games against teams they
can beat!  I.e.,

* Why is Merrimack placed with two teams it has never beaten (BU/Me), and
  kept away from four teams it HAS beaten (BC/Low/NH/PC)?
* Why is Lowell placed with three teams it has trouble with (BC/NH/PC) and
  kept away from two teams it can beat (Merr/NU) AND from one it has been
  known to upset (Me)?
* Why is NH placed with two teams it struggles with (BC/PC) and kept away
  from two teams it can beat (Merr/NU)?

The end result is that of the three games added to the schedule from this
season's 21, the perennial contenders get to face teams they should beat
instead of teams they might lose to.

* BU gets Maine/Merr/NU; BU has had trouble with Maine, but should win the
  other two.
* BC gets Low/NH/PC, three teams they should beat.
* Maine gets BU/Merr/NU, perhaps 2-1 since NU always plays Maine tough.

This favors the contenders to finish higher in the standings and to rack up
a better overall record.  It's as if they are saying, "We want to guarantee
we will always have at least three teams in the NCAAs for the good of the
league."

Why not rotate the "divisions" every year?

- mike