In Spike's daily transaction report on rec.sport.hockey, he reports
that Pat Lafontaine & his agent have stated that he will not play for
the Islanders unless they have a new owner - and if no deal can be made,
he will play for the US Olympic Team.  I'm wondering whether the staff
might take away a spot that has been given to a player already if Sept-Oct
rolls around and Lafontaine suddenly decides to give up on the Isles and
go Olympics.  It would be great to have the guy on the team, but knowing
USA Hockey's commitment to amateur players (using pros only sparingly),
I wonder how receptive they would be to a Lafontaine walking off the street
and inviting himself onto the team.  Initially I say very, but who knows.
This is an interesting development coming on the opening day of tryouts.

- mike