I'd like to put in my $0.02 worth (and probably stick my foot in my mouth
at the same time) and agree with Carol's comments on NCAA championship games.
I also attended the 1989 and 1991 NCAA tournaments in the St. Paul Civic
Center, and while I must admit that my Minnesota partisanship inevitably
influences my opinion, I thought that the 1989 Minnesota-Harvard game was
the better of the two.  Last Saturday's game was certainly one of the most
exciting hockey games I have ever seen, featuring spectacular scoring plays
and incredible comebacks.  On the other hand, neither team had consistent
defense or goaltending through the first three periods, allowing a total
of fourteen goals.  NMU and BU settled down and played solid defense in the
overtimes, but the players were tiring rapidly.
  The 1989 Minnesota-Harvard game did not feature as much pure drama, but
the teams played more consistent hockey throughout.  I thnk it was the best
hockey game I have ever seen at any level.  Goaltending was outstanding, and
offense and defense were well-balanced.  If I recall correctly, neither team
ever led by more than a goal.  The tension was incredible.
  I have not recently watched my tape of the 1989 game, but I will watch it
and a tape of the the 1991 championship and see if my opinions are still
the same.
  Three of the last four NCAA championships have been settled in overtime.
Perhaps the NCAA should start bringing two first place trophies to the
tournament. :-)

Erik Biever                              --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota - Home of the       --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
1991 WCHA & NCAA Championships         --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM