Here's a recap of Clarkson's season and some thoughts about next year.

In ECAC play, the team was regular season champs and tournament champs
with a final ECAC record of 19-5-2.  131 goals for, 5.04 per game average,
and 86 goals against, 3.31 per game average.

It was the first tournament title in 25 years.

The team's overall record was 29-9-2, the most wins in a season ever for
a Clarkson team.  212 goals for, 5.30 per game average, 143 goals
against, 3.58 per game average.

The team was 18-0-1 at home, Walker Arena.  It was the last season to be
played at Walker.

The team had one of the best, if not the best, power play units in the
nation, scoring about 36% of the time.

The team lost the Dexter Shoe Challenge final to host Maine.

The team was seeded fourth in the east for the NCAA tournament.  It was
their second straight appearance.

In the NCAA tournament they beat defending National Champs, Wisconsin,
two games to one at home.  Beat the top ranked team in the nation, Lake
Superior State University, 2 games to 1, breaking LSSU's 28 (?) game
streak without a loss.  They reached the Final 4 for the first time
since 1970, where they lost to Boston University 7-3.

The team captain for next year is Scott Thomas, with assistants being
Jeff Torrey and Hugo Belanger.

Chris Rogles won the goalie title (by .001).  Which is quite an
accomplishment in his first season of regular play and given the doubts
expressed at the beginning of the year.

Hugo Belanger set a new school record for points in a season, 75, the
previous record being at 68.  Hugo also become the third Clarkson
sophomore to reach 100 career points, joining Kevin Zappia and Colin
Patterson.

Clarkson will be losing Seniors: Dave Tretowicz (D), Dave Trombley (F),
Mark Green (F), Mike Kozak (F) and Mike Casselman (F).

Tretowicz skated in evry game his four years at Clarkson.

The team has 3 returning Juniors, 10!! returning Sophomores and 6
returning Freshmen.  That's assuming Scott Thomas doesn't leave for
Buffalo.  He's the only one that I've heard talk about leaving.

Next Year:

Goaltenders:  The team has two play-off experienced goalies in Chris
Rogles and Jason Currie.  They rotated games throughout the regular
season.  It appears that this will continue next year.  They played
solid games and when one wasn't on the other would be, i.e. the first
game against LSSU.  I think that they'll be better next year with all of
the experience and confidence they gained through this year.

Defense:  The young defense will no longer be young.  The core of the
defense will be the Juniors: d'Orsonnes, Tavi and Sanderson.
Returning Freshmen will be LaPointe and Henrich, who should continue to
improve.  The defense has good size and physical strength.  Hopefully
with the move to the new larger rink, they'll pick up speed.  Speed will
need work and would pay off against the fast teams, like BU and SLU.

Offense:  The forward line will miss the master Trombley and
hard-working Cassleman.  However, Belanger will be back, his 32 goals
and 43 assists shows that he creates plays just as well as he finishes
them.  One of the best moves I thought this season was Coach Morris
putting Freshman Craig Conroy on Cassleman's line.  Conroy was
struggling in the first semester of play but came on strong after moving
to Casselman's line.  Casselman is a hard worker in the corners and
along the boards.  This rubbed right off onto Conroy and did wonders for
him.  Scott Thomas had a great year with strong physical play and
fore-checking.  He also has a fine scoring touch.  The other Sophomores:
Steve Dubinsky and David Green should continue to improve.  There
maybe some line jostling at the start of the season, but they will break
out big and be a high-octane offense.  The other Freshmen forwards:
Fotheringham and Theriault (Played F listed as D), should find full time
positions.

Overall I think that the team will be better next year as the young
talent matures more.  Mark Morris is a wizard at getting a team to gel
together and play their best.  He has done a wonderful job and we expect
great things next year (read ECAC Champ repeat and NCAA bid (it better
be a bye this time)).  There are several teams out there who are young
and will dominate play for the next few years (I first think of Maine
who is losing only 1 Senior (I believe)).  Morris also does a great job
of recruiting players.  All of the current Sophomores are his.  The ECAC
Championship, two straight NCAA bids and a trip to the Final 4 will help
even more.

Too bad that I'll probably be done with my degree by October and miss
being in Potsdam for the season.  Maybe if I can't get a job and delay
things some?  Nah, my fiance will KILL me.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,...