Article taken from January 18, 1991 issue of the _Michigan Tech Lode_
(reprinted without permission)

Note:  This article is outdated a little, the _Lode_ is now delivered
on Fridays instead of Wednesdays making it difficult to get articles
entered before the weekend series.  Updates will appear at the end of
the article.

"Icers go for Gophers"
by:  Jeff Peters, Staff Writer
The Michigan TEch Hockey Husdies are home again this weekend hosting the
league leading University of Minnesota (UM) Golden Gophers.

The two game Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) series begins
tonight in the Student Ice Arena at 7:05 p.m., with Saturday's faceoff
at 7:05 p.m.

The games can be heard on WZRK, 93.5 FM, with Bob Olsen calling the play
by play, and former Tech coach Darcy Way adding the color.  This weekend
is Zenith Computer Weekend at the hockey games.  Fans will be able to
sign up for a chance to win a Zenigth Minisport Computer valued at
$2500.

The winner will be drawn bwtween the second and third periods of
Saturday's game.  Other prizes will be given away through the Huskies
Magazine souvenir program.  Fans must be present to win.

The Gophers come into town off a home sweep of St. Cloud State last
weekend with a 17-2-3 record with puts them in forst place in the WCHA.
They are 20-3-3 overall and ranked number two in the Nation.

Minnesota swept the Huskies in Minnesota earlier in the season, 7-1 and
2-0.  They also lead the overall series, which began in 1921, 118-66-8.

The Golden Gophers are coached by Doug Woog who is in his sixth year at
Minnesota and has a 185-67-9 career record.

UM is led by defenseman Larry Olimb who has 15 goals and 21 assists in
26 games he is in fourth place in the WCHA.

Olimb is followed by wing Grant Bischoff with 29 points, wing Ben
Hankinson and center Jason Miller each with 25 points, and defenseman
Tom Pederson who has 24 points.

In the net for the Gophers is Jeff Stolp who leads the WCHA with a
13-2-2 record.  He boasts a 2.65 goals against average and a .898 saves
percentage.

Pederson and center Chris Johnson are listed as questionable for play
this weekend.

"Minnesota is a good team, they are speedy, probably the fastest team
around and play a high tempo game with a lot of passing,"  remarked
Huskies Coach Newell Brown.  "They have had quite a few close games,
Colorado and Denver both almost beat them and they aren't known for
playing well on the road."

The Huskies are led by Senior wing Kelly Hurd with 21 goals and 14
assists.  Hurd missed last weekend's games because he had car problems
coming from his home in British Columbia, Canada.  Junior center John
Young also had 35 points, 10 goals and 25 assists.  These stats place
Young and Hurd in sixth place in the WCHA.

Other top scorers for the Huskies are Junior wing Jamie Steer with 21
points, Freshman wing Jim Storm with 19 points and Junior wing Davis
Payne with 17 points.

Freshman defenseman Layne Lebell will not be playing because of an
injury sustained during Christmas bread.  Freshman forward Kevin
Manninen is questionable for the series and freshman Hugh McEwen, who
was injured in last Friday's game will probably play this weekend.

"We have to play well defensively this weekend, they have al excellent
counter attack and very good puck control," Brown said, "We know what
has to be done in order to win."

Last weekend the Huskies were swept by Wisconsin 3-1 and 3-2.

In Friday's contest goaltender Geoff Sarjeant recorded 27 saves.  Junior
wing Greg Parnell scored Tech's only goal with assists going to
sophomore defenseman Ken Plaquin and John Young.

Saturday night, Junior forward Tim Hartnett scored his forst career
goal.  Freshman Kevin Manninen and Junior Reid Mcdonald tallied assists
on the play.

Jamie Steer also scored, late in the game, assists went to Senior Jay
Luknowsky and Junior Davis Payne.

"We played well against Wisconsin and our goalies were exceptional.
We've been having tough luck on our power play but it has to turn
around," said coach Brown.

Update:  Friday TECH WINS!!!!!!!    5-2!!!  (Very intense and fast game)
         Saturday Gopher victory    6-2     (Tech lost its defense and
                                             UM was playing faster)