As has already been posted here, the ECAC has invited Union College to
join the ECAC Division I hockey league. AD Dick Sakala and Head Coach Bruce
Delventhal have said that they expect to give the ECAC and answer by the end of
January. Classes do not begin here at Union until January 7, so it is difficult
to get a feeling for what the students and faculty think of the potential move.
This place is very much deserted right now. I don't even think the hockey
players are back from break yet, at least I haven't seen any of them.

	In reports in the Schenectady Gazette, AD Dick Sakala and Coach
Delventhal have both come out in favor of the move. Phil Janack dedicated his
entire "Skate of Mind" column in the December 19 issue of the Amsterdam
Recorder to argue in favor of the move. (Amsterdam is no hockey town. This
column is pretty much the extent of hockey in Amsterdam. This is the first time
I've ever seen Union hockey mentioned in the Recorder, and Union is only 16
miles from Amsterdam.) The Schenectady Gazette's Tom Boggie, who usually covers
Union hockey, used more than half of his "College Closeups" column on Christmas
Day to present an argument for the move.

	I am all for the move. I am convinced that the program can be kept
honest and under control at the Division I level. One thing I'd miss are the
long standing rivalries that would probably have to end with some of the ECAC
West schools, like Elmira, Hamilton, and RIT. There have been some great games
against these teams in the last few years. But new rivalries would develop, and
the Union-RPI rivalry would only become more intense. I am hoping that the
decision will come back to move up to Division I next season. I think that this
is a great opportunity for the Union hockey program, and all of Union College.

I'll have more as I hear more...
Jim Teresco
[log in to unmask]	[log in to unmask]
Go Dutchmen!