I won't go into detail about the game since Kevin has already
    done so.  But several notes:

    - This was the 7th time the two teams played since Merrimack
      joined Hockey East last year, and six of the seven games have
      been close.  BC has won five of the seven.

    - Before the game, BC Coach Lenny Ceglarski was watching the players
      who weren't going to be playing for the Warriors skate, and he said
      to Ron Anderson that he was surprised that he (Anderson) wasn't
      using his big players.  Then his team got completely outplayed in
      the corners and after the game, he told Anderson that size killed
      BC and that Merrimack owned the Eagles.  Never thought I'd hear that.
      Of course, someone nearby piped up, "Owwwns...owwwwns!"  (you
      understand if you've seen Slapshot)

    - The shot totals, 42-20 for BC, don't tell the story of the game. Most
      of BC's shots were from far out and D'Amore's teammates cleared
      most of the rebounds.  Of course, BC is the more talented team and
      generated more scoring opportunities, but Merrimack made the most
      of theirs while BC did not.

    - Even during a 5-on-3 late in the game while down 6-4, BC looked like
      they didn't want it.  They have to be the most inconsistent great
      team in the country.  The Warriors capitalized on every huge BC
      mistake, such as the line change that produced a 3-on-0 with Dan
      Gravelle beating LaGrand to finish it off.

    - LaGrand did not play well although his teammates hung him out to dry
      several times, like on the 3-on-0.  With five minutes left in the
      first period, it was 2-2 and LaGrand's save pct. was 0% (2 shots,
      2 goals).

    - The loss of Glennon and Cleary did not affect the Eagles.  Their
      replacements played very well.  The HEM line didn't play badly but
      was actually contained pretty well by the Warriors.  Ted Crowley
      played a sparkling game on defense and almost singlehandedly
      brought the Eagles back.

    - There was a little controversy when two apparent BC goals were called
      back in the third period.  One came when the net was dislodged (from
      my view, far before the puck went in); BC did not argue.  The other
      came late in the game when BC had six attackers and referee Joe
      Fitzgerald whistled the play dead for a man in the crease.  Bill
      Guerin got 10 for his subsequent words to Fitzgerald.  I wasn't close
      enough, but Fitzgerald was right there both times.

    - Quote of the day: with 40 seconds left, a teammate breaking towards
      center ice and BC's net empty, Merrimack's Brendan Locke picked up the
      puck along the right wing boards, turned and shot it down the wing
      for icing.  Anderson could be seen berating Locke for quite a while.
      After the game, Anderson was asked what he said to Locke.  His
      response? "I told him not to ice the puck. Then I told him to sit down."

    - To put it simply: if both teams play up to their potential, BC
      should win.  Last night, Merrimack did and BC did not.  But mainly,
      Merrimack won because they were hungry for it and BC wasn't.

    No need updating the entire standings with two more games being played
    tonight (I'll send that out tomorrow), but BC can be overtaken in
    first if BU beats Lowell tonight.  Merrimack moved into a tie for
    third with UNH, whose game in hand comes tonight against Maine.
    That will be an interesting one.

    Needless to say, Merrimack is ecstatic about having a chance to go to
    the Christmas break tied for third.

    - mike