As a Union grad (class of 1973) and a sport psychologist at Temple
University who also teaches sport sociology (in which the discussion on
college athletics is very relevant), I have been particularly interested
in the discussion on Union's possibly moving up to Division I in hockey.
There have been some excellent responses to Jim's question the other day
on academics and athletics.  Some schools have this kind of set-up and
seem to do well, such as Johns Hopkins and lacrosse.

     Some of you with long memories may remember that Union has had a
similar kind of discussion before, at least concerning the role of ice
hockey at the school.  At the end of 1977 the hockey coach at Union,
the well traveled and well renowned Ned Harkness, resigned, and many
of his players withdraw, over a number of controversies surrounding
the program.

     As was noted, it really depends on the school and their principles.
The Merrimack example was an excellent example of how it can be done.

     Sincerely, Michael Sachs