Thanks for the great article on the Jamboree games at BU,
    Adam.  The next night, Saturday, the other two games of
    the Jamboree were played in Providence.  The format was
    20 minutes, a 3-minute intermission & switch sides, 10
    minutes, 15-minute intermission and make ice, 10 minutes,
    a 3-minute intermission & switch sides, and finally a
    20-minute period.  Scores:

        Merrimack 0                Northeastern 5
        Lowell    5                Providence   7

    GAME THREE

    Lowell's got a few guys who can make some things happen
    this year, one being Shane Henry, a freshman from Langley,
    B.C. who centers the first line, and he got the game-winner
    just three minutes into the first period when he rammed home
    a rebound of a Dave Gatti shot.  Lowell also has Mark
    Richards, probably one of the top three goalies in Hockey
    East.  Richards played the whole game (well, until 6:05 of
    the third period, anyway - more later) while Merrimack's
    three goalies all saw a period of action.

    The Warriors will probably have a lot of trouble when they
    fall behind early, as they did against Lowell.  Saturday,
    they just didn't look very good, and I think part of that was
    allowing Lowell's penchant for cheap shots to draw them
    away from their game plan.  But Merrimack wasn't a team of
    angels, either, and both teams were instigating roughness
    against the other.  Lowell had the better of the scoring
    chances and capitalized five times by the first few minutes
    of the third.  Five different scorers tallied for Lowell:
    Henry, Dave Pensa, Gerry Daley, Brendan Flynn, and Tim
    Smallwood.  But the real story of the game was its mishandling
    by referee Drew Taylor which turned a battle between two
    enemies into a war.

    The war culminated at the aforementioned 6:05 of the third period
    mark, when Teal Fowler was partially screening Richards.  Fowler
    whacked the Lowell defender in front of him and then was cross-
    checked in the back of the head by Richards.  That touched off
    several minutes of fighting that involved all players on the ice
    except Merrimack goalie Yannick Gosselin.  Fortunately, the
    benches did not clear.  The end result was the ejections
    of Lowell's Richards and Travis Tucker and Merrimack's
    Fowler and Doug Greschuk.  Even though the game was an exhibition,
    all four will have to sit for their teams' first games this
    Friday, when Lowell hosts Colgate and Merrimack hosts Alabama-
    Huntsville.  The loss of Richards is the biggest to either team.

    Four other Chiefs (Stevens, Erickson, Pensa, Bazin) and three
    Warriors (Hentges, Naylor, Dooley) received ten-minute misconducts,
    but the game was over for all intents and purposes anyway.
    Lowell had the edge in shots, 36-28, and the Chiefs got two
    goals each off of Merrimack netminders Gosselin and D'Amore, and
    one off of Doneghey.

    At this point of the season, I'd have to say that Lowell seems to
    be much farther along than Merrimack is.  But the Warriors also
    didn't play with any discipline, something that has to change
    once the season starts.

    GAME FOUR

    I only saw the first period of this game before I had to
    leave.  Northeastern has a freshman, Derek Edgerly from
    Stoneham, MA, centering junior Matt Saunders and senior
    Brian Sullivan on the first line, and from early looks the
    kid isn't too bad.  A large part of where Northeastern goes
    will depend on how many scoring opportunities Saunders and
    Sullivan, who combined for 43-42-85 last year, will get.

    The Huskies looked pretty good in the first period, though they
    got some help from an inexperienced Providence team that is also
    missing Mike Boback until December.  With the departure of strong
    goaltending tandem Matt Merten and Mark Romaine, the mantle has
    passed to inexperienced sophomore Brad Mullahy (1-2, 3.77 in 5
    games last year), and he didn't look too good in the first in
    allowing the Huskies to take a 3-0 lead.  Northeastern's first
    goal came a couple of minutes into the game on a 100-footer by
    Rob Cowie from his side of the red line.

    So, we left after the first with NU up 3-0, and WCCM's Dan Roche
    said that he was surprised at how well the Huskies looked - and
    I told him that knowing the Huskies, they'd probably play just as
    badly in the second.

    Bang!  By the time we made it to the car, it was 3-3, and before
    we got onto route 95 in Providence, it was 5-4 Huskies.  Six goals
    in less than ten minutes of play.  At this time, the Providence
    College station faded out, and I picked up the paper the next day
    to find that Providence had scored the last three goals of the game
    and won, 7-5.

    As I posted last Friday, the two games played at BU will be on
    NESN here Tuesday night (7 & 9 pm) and the two at PC will be on
    NESN Wednesday night (7 & 9 pm).

    - mike

    p.s. thanks to the people out West for the scores!
    p.p.s. ice was awful near the end of each half.