>                                Slater did not recruit a goalie for next
>season bcause he was counting on Gagnon's return.  This leaves Colgate with
>two goaltenders, sophomore Ken Baker and junior Greg Menges, and apparently
>ECAC (or NCAA?) rules state that a team must have three.  Slater says he
>might have to get a goalie out of Colgate's intramural program.
>
>Bill Fenwick
>Cornell '86
>LET'S GO RED!!

Bill: The only rule covering this situation is the one which requires
a team to dress at least two and no more than three goalies for a game.
You can go through a season with just two goalies on your roster, but
you've got a problem if one of them gets hurt...either you've got to
dress an injured goaltender for a game, or you've got to run out and
find one somewhere in a hurry, because you HAVE to have two in uniform.
Slater actually had to face this problem a couple of years ago, if
I remember correctly. I'm not sure of the details, but I think Gagnon
(or somebody) was in an automobile accident, and Colgate had to draft
an intramural goalie to dress for one or two games.

Arthur Mintz
Cornell '71