Good morning!
As news arrived last week that the FAFSA will be opening "by" December 31, we are learning more about how we can expect the roll out to impact FAFSA processing and the timing of financial aid package for students. I hope this info from NCAN helps you all prepare your students for what they can expect and how to mitigate further delays that will impact decisions and future plans for all of our students.

Wishing you all a relaxing and restorative Thanksgiving holiday!

Warmly,
Ginny

NCAN logo

This morning, the Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) announced that the 2024-25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), also known as the Better FAFSA, will open by December 31, 2023.

Although the announcement’s language of “by December 31” implies that the FAFSA could launch sooner, the NCAN recommends that for planning purposes, our member organizations use December 31 as the effective opening date.

Unfortunately, the Better FAFSA launch will come with some implementation changes and delayed processes referred to in the announcement. Notably, although students will receive a confirmation email with their Pell Grant eligibility and estimated Student Aid Index, colleges and universities will not begin to receive Institutional Student Information Records (ISIRs) until later in January. We anticipate that institutions of higher education will then need multiple weeks to load the data, test systems, and begin to generate financial aid offers, likely reaching students in mid- to late-February at the earliest.

The announcement outlines other changes to the 2024-25 cycle, including the fact that direct connections to state financial aid applications will not be available. These connections will return with the 2025-26 FAFSA. There will also be a delay in the processing of institutional corrections and paper FAFSAs, scheduled to begin in February. All of these factors complicate a year in which we are already implementing comprehensive changes for the better including direct data exchange with the Internal Revenue Service and a new process to create FSA IDs for those without Social Security numbers.

NCAN will host a webinar on Friday, November 17 at 2PM ET where FSA leaders will share details on this announcement and take questions from participants. NCAN continues to support its members and the field with its suite of tools and resources and training webinars.

Stay tuned to our blog, Success Digest, and social media pages as we continue to update you on this process moving forward.

Best,

-The NCAN Team

National College Attainment Network
800 17th St. NW #630
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 347-4848  |  MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "458rl1jp.r.us-east-1.awstrack.me" claiming to be www.ncan.org

Facebook Icon
Twitter Icon
LinkedIn Icon

If you would like to unsubscribe, [log in to unmask]" shash="eg9cp/9XMkP0tSep0sF+6YmIQo9WQ68zwNP/WZrIEICbLN3RraZvHahF57cQfPui3GUWEmOJOcKl0XIgpyt73GXWsWnN7+vHoMXwmIWSQ8LidZIAsPiBQ0BOQJxunWwmIbq0FXSpUPBj/FxOhmnmPigwoR9nROSBT58GApDW21U=" originalsrc="http://458rl1jp.r.us-east-1.awstrack.me/L0/http:[log in to unmask]" data-auth="Verified" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" id="OWA8e57a2b1-2699-d2e7-2556-394f75f1505d" class="OWAAutoLink" data-loopstyle="linkonly">please click here.