THE WANDERING ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Bring Earth to a Halt!

Today's WA will toss us tailbone over tea kettle into the murky realm of
the impossible contingency.  Or, perhaps more correctly, into the realm of
the absurdly improbable contingency: something that we can't fathom could
ever occur no matter how earnest our efforts to make it happen.
Fortunately, in this instance, anyway, we can describe the following
contingency as being so highly improbable as to asymptotically approach the
impossible.

*Question from Pandora's Jar:     What would happen if Earth
suddenly stopped rotating for just ten seconds?  Would we notice the
difference?  *

Concise answer: All, or at least almost all life would be extinguished from
the planet. So, yes sirree, Robert John, we would certainly notice the
difference.

More involved answer:

Earth is rotating on its axis as a consequence of its formation. The nebula
out of which the Sun and its retinue of attendant worlds formed collapsed
and started to spin due to the torque induced on it by its local
environment and by the motion of material toward the center. The
conservation of angular momentum caused the spin to increase as this
migration progressed. One will note that -with the exceptions of Venus and
the tipped-over Uranus- the planets spin and revolve in the same direction.

Computer models suggest that soon after the proposed moon-forming collision
with the Mars-sized Theia, Earth required five hours to complete one
rotation. The moon’s gradual recession from Earth throughout the
intervening eons has induced a dampening effect on Earth’s rotation. It now
completes one rotation every 23 hours, 56 minutes. This rotation rate
decrease will continue so that the day length will increase by 2.3
milliseconds per century.  So, Earth's rotation rate is decreasing, but at
a glacially slow rate.

Now, let’s imagine that Earth’s rotation instantly stopped for just 10
seconds. What would occur? The answer depends on location. Perhaps the most
important effect would relate to the atmosphere. The gases are moving along
with Earth. If Earth suddenly stopped, the gases would still continue to
move. Regard people in a car moving down the freeway at 90 mph. If the car
suddenly stops, the occupants will still be moving at 90 mph initially,
hence the need for body restraining seat belts. The atmospheric gases would
be under no such constraint and they’d move at their previous speeds even
with our planet halted. The resultant wind speed would equal the rotation
rate along any point.

Earth’s rotation rate is maximum along the equator: approximately 1036 mph.
The rotation rate decreases with increasing distance from the equator.* The
wind speeds along the equator would consequently equal about 1000 mph.
Realize that the fastest wind speed ever recorded was only 253 mph** Wind
force is proportional to the square of the wind velocity, so these
equatorial winds would be at least 16 times more forceful than the fastest
wind speed measured on Earth. Every structure and every person would be
obliterated by these winds. The winds at most other latitudes would be
immensely strong, as well. The wind speed would equal 253 mph at the high
latitudes of 75 degrees N and 75 degrees S.

Another powerful effect relates to the oceans. Earth is not a perfect
sphere, but is, instead, an oblate spheroid. The equatorial diameter equals
7,926 miles while the polar diameter’s length is only 7,900 miles. This
oblateness is a result of the centripetal force induced by Earth’s
rotation. Were that rotation to stop in an instant, the resultant
deformation and subsequent resumption of the rotation would cause major
shifts in the ocean waters. Unfathomably powerful tsunamis would scour the
coasts all around the world.

Add to that the stresses induced in the landforms would produce
devastating, city-obliterating Earthquakes and lava-hemorrhaging volcanoes.

While this answer provides only a cursory examination of the consequences,
we can be well assured that if Earth suddenly stopped, we’d all perish in a
cataclysmic confluence of assailing winds, inundating tsunamis and
fracturing landforms.

Fortunately, we know of no mechanism capable of  abruptly stopping Earth’s
rotation.

I hope this answer proves helpful.

*One can calculate this tangential speed with latitude with the following
equation

Velocity = 1036cos(lat) mph

**At Barrow Island, Australia during Cyclone Olivia in 1996