From: COE <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2023 4:50 PM
To: Charlton, Terry T. <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Now is the time to invite your Member of Congress to visit your program and students!

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open unexpected attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Are you having trouble viewing this message? Click here<https://t.congressweb.com/w/?GGHEHCMNGJ>

[https://www.congressplus.com/userfiles/509/EMAIL%20BANNER%20-%20GOVT%20RELATIONS.png]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJEFMLA>

[https://www.congressplus.com/userfiles/509/COVER%20-%20SUMMER%20RECESS%20PACKET%202022.png]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJJFFYE>

Thanks to You!

Last month, amidst a call for massive cuts to the tune of $120 billion, the House LHHS Appropriations Subcommittee protected TRIO funding in their FY24 bill. The Senate Appropriations Committee, which also grappled with calls for cuts, took the same action. This would not have happened without the consistent and passionate advocacy of TRIO educators, students, and alumni. However, as Congress wil not make its final funding decision until later this fall, our work is not done yet.

Engage your Members of Congress During August Recess!

Now that it is August Recess and Members of Congress are back in their home states, it's crucial that we make our voices heard and demonstrate the positive impact of TRIO programs on students' lives. We need your help in connecting with Members of Congress locally and showing them the incredible work happening on the ground with TRIO. To assist you in this important effort, we have prepared a Congressional Outreach Packet.  Download it here.<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJUIJKB>

This packet includes:

  *   A concise summary of our FY24 ask to Congress<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJEBOKD>, so you can be clear about our objectives.
  *   Links to congressional staff contact information<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJBBZKG>, along with their social media profiles, to make reaching out easier.
  *   A sample invitation letter to help you invite your elected officials to visit your TRIO program.
  *   Step-by-step guidance on planning a successful visit to ensure your message gets through effectively.
  *   A sample agenda to help structure the meeting with your Congress Members.
  *   Spotlight on successful TRIO programs that have hosted their elected officials to inspire and guide your own efforts.

If you have any questions or need assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to Diane Shust at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Advocate for TRIO using the 2023 Visit Roadmap and Agenda

Connect with Congress Members to thank them for past support and share the $54 million increase for FY23, highlighting how it benefits your low-income, first-generation students. Showcase TRIO's impact on college access and success and present stories of successful local projects. Emphasize the latest U.S. Department of Education report<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJKXRTH> showing that TRIO students graduate from college at a higher rate than their similarly situated peers. Listen to their experiences, establish personal connections, and provide hard copies of TRIO information. Conclude with gratitude and follow up within three days via email.

[https://www.congressplus.com/userfiles/509/Photo%20-%20Senator%20Ernst%20TRIO%20Southwestern%20Community%20College%20Iowa.jpg]

Read these inspiring stories from Iowa and California and get inspired.

In Iowa, Director of Talent Search Erica Frey and Valerie White welcomed Senator Joni Ernst to Southwestern Community College, where student Abbe Baumfalk shared her TRIO journey. Abbe highlighted how TRIO supported her in overcoming various barriers, providing vital resources and financial assistance, like a $1,000 scholarship. Meanwhile, in California, Horacio Aceves, Assistant Director of Upward Bound at Occidental College, extended an invitation to Congressman Jimmy Gomez (CA-34) to meet students on campus. During the visit, Congressman Gomez pledged his support for TRIO funding and shared the experience with his extensive Twitter following.

[https://www.congressplus.com/userfiles/509/SCROLL%20IMAGE%20-%20TAKE%20ACTION%20NOW%20CALL.png]

Follow these easy steps to empower your Member of Congress as a TRIO champion.

Host a congressional visit by collaborating with your institution's Government Relations/Public Affairs Office, ensuring campus support, and finding a suitable date. Extend an official invitation via email and follow up if needed. During the visit, showcase TRIO's impact with student testimonials and a formal program agenda. Make the legislator feel welcome with TRIO gear and warm greetings from students. After the event, publicize it on social media, send a thank-you letter, and keep in touch to maintain the connection. Together, let's make #TRIOWorks known!

Use this sample meeting request letter to extend the official invitation.

Let's unite our efforts and make sure Congress recognizes the incredible difference TRIO is making in the lives of students. Together, we can create a lasting impact and support the success of TRIO programs nationwide. Email a letter inviting your Member of Congress to visit, including contact information for their scheduler and legislative education assistants. Follow up if you haven't heard back within a week. Use our sample template here to get started. <https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJFFSNO>

[https://www.congressplus.com/userfiles/509/EMAIL%20AD%20-%20COEAC2023.png]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJUZUIP>

[Facebook]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJOVQWD>
[Twitter]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJJHGYN>
[Instagram]<https://t.congressweb.com/l/?GGHEHCMNGJVAJRQ>