             "You can judge your age by the amount of pain you feel when
you come in contact with a new idea."  Pearl S. Buck

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, June 26, 2023
Omega Centauri

Today we'll embark on a simple field trip:  a journey to the stunningly
beautiful and elegantly named Omega Centauri.

[image: 1024px-Omega_Centauri_by_ESO.jpg]
*Omega Centauri *   [Image: European Southern Observatory]

Spanning 150 light years in diameter, this spherical stellar metropolis
harbors more than 10 million stars and is as massive as four million Suns.
   Despite its estimated 17,090 ight year distance, Omega Centauri shines
at apparent magnitude 3.7 and to the unaided eye appears as a somewhat
faint star.*  However when viewed through binoculars, its non-stellar
nature becomes stunningly obvious.   Spanning 36 arc-minutes -slightly
larger than the full moon- Omega Centauri reveals its stellar richness  to
anyone who observes it through even low-power optical equipment.
 Frustratingly, however, Omega Centauri is just a bit too far south to be
visible from northern New England.  The star chart below shows the  night
sky from 40 degrees N, where it is just visible above the horizon.  At 43
degrees N, Omega Centauri is tantalizingly close, but remains unseen.

[image: Omega-Cen-finder-chart.jpg]

The largest and most massive of the Milky Way's 150 known globular
clusters, Omega Centauri is so huge that many astronomers assume it was
originally the core of a dwarf galaxy which the Milky Way cannibalized
long  ago.  This exposed core then joined the retinue of other globulars
that orbit around the halo, the  spherical region centered on the galactic
nucleus.    The principal feature suggesting this unusual origin pertains
to its stellar population.   Omega Centauri contains stars with a wide
range of metallicities.     Some are metal-rich and others metal-poor.*
While metal poor stars tend to be quite old as they formed when the gaseous
medium contained smaller ratios of metals, metal rich stars are of more
recent vintage.      Most globulars, being ancient structures even by
astronomical standards, don't exhibit such a metallic diversity.  Secondly,
it seems likely that the Fimbulthul  star stream originated in Omega
Centauri.  Astronomers have both measured the velocities and conducted a
spectroscopic analysis of some of its stars.    The star's speeds and
chemical constituents were consistent with those of the globular cluster.

[image: image1.png]

The above image, captured by the GAIA satellite, shows Omega Centauri
(enclosed in the white square) close to the Fimbulthul stream, highlighted
in bright yellow to the upper left.

 While stars in the Sun's vicinity are separated by 4 - 5 light years on
average, the stars within the cluster are about 0.1 light years apart (the
density increases as one moves toward the center.)   One can scarcely
imagine observing the dazzling night sky from a planet within this
cluster!     We don't know if this cluster harbors any planets, but what a
sky one would see from the surface of any of them!

Larger than the full moon, crammed with millions of stars, almost 12
billion years old and just below our sights.         We might not be able
to admire you from up here, Omega Centauri, but we're delighted you exist
all the same.

*It was considered a star until Edmund Halley (1656-1742) first observed it
through his telescope in 1677.   Johannes Bayer (1572-1625)  designated it
'Omega Centauri' as he believed it to be the 24th brightest star in the
constellation Centaurus.  In the Bayer Nomenclature system, the brightest
stars within a constellation are assigned Greek letters in accordance to
their relative brightness.  The brightest is named 'alpha,' the second
brightest 'beta,' and so forth.     Even though we now know that Omega
Cenatauri is not a star, its stellar name persists.

***If you're a chemist, discretion is advised.*    An astronomer considers
any element heavier than helium to be a metal.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>