So, someone came right out and asked,

What is the Harsh Truth of LIFE?

Simple.

Cruel people are weak. Kind people are strong. Almost all of us are suffering to a certain extent. The weak ones attempt to mitigate their suffering by inflicting emotional injuries on others, either directly or through the promulgation of malicious gossip  . Strong ones, recognizing that suffering is nearly ubiquitous, not only refrain from the practice of cruelty, but actively seek to reduce the suffering in others.

So one should derive a great deal of solace from the following corollaries predicated on the first statement.

Most of the answers offered in response to this question are crafted with the intent to intensify YOUR suffering. You know: the ones that obliquely or overtly attempt to affirm the preposterous and highly injurious negative thoughts we harbor about ourselves.   Fortunately, these answers are both absurd and based on the American notion that we are not actually human beings, but commodities of ever decreasing value.

I wish that Thich Nhat Hahn, pictured below, could answer this question. Although he is no longer with us in this form, he might have said that we all suffer, but with the acknowledgement that we are all connected, not only to each other, but to all life on Earth, and through the practice of mindfulness we can know the joy of being fully alive in every moment.

The harsh truth is that we’re so conditioned to think of ourselves as products and to loathe ourselves for our perceived deficiencies that we entirely miss out on the rapturous experience of simply being alive in this world.

Access the WANDERINGS-THROUGH-THE-MINDVERSE Home Page and Archives

Unsubscribe from the WANDERINGS-THROUGH-THE-MINDVERSE List