"Every ten years you're a different person."
-Martin Amis

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, May 22, 2023
Not Now, Betelgeuse!

Do you hear that?
Listen closely.
Now, do you hear it?
The pulses throbbing like corpse hearts through the floorboards.  The
breath intakes sharp enough to disembowel diamonds. The collective sighs,
moans and gasps of thousands of souls, sounding so much like a World Cup
match, but without the nationalistic animosities.
Do you feel it?  The prickly heat sensation running current-like around the
epidermis and enough unbearable tension to fill a modern-day college
campus.
Yes, that's right.
Betelgeuse, the highly massive star marking Orion's shoulder, is at it
again.  By which we mean, of course, that it is exhibiting behaviours so
outside the norm that some avid skywatchers expect it to explode as a Type
II supernova at any moment.*     Within the last two weeks, Betelgeuse has
started shining fifty percent brighter than usual.  While we know that
Betelgeuse is a variable star and as such its brightness does vary, it
hasn't shone so brilliantly so quickly before.    A couple of years ago,
one might recall,Betelgeuse dimmed considerably, much to the delight and
chagrin of astronomers around the globe.**  This atypical light reduction
was thought to be a precursor to the titanic Type II eruption we've all
been just dying to see.  Alas, this brightness diminishment turned out to
be merely the result of nearby dust obscuration, or so it was believed.
Crests fell down like medicinable gum off an Arabian tree once we all
realized that Orion was destined to retain his fireopal shoulder star.
However, now that Betelgeuse is showing unusual variability once again,
hopes have risen once more at the prospect of beholding the dazzling
brilliance of a nearby Supernova.       One can almost see the scopes
turning in perfect unison toward this red supergiant behemoth star in eager
anticipation of this blitzkrieg of a fireworks show.

But wait!
Betelgeuse is too close to the Sun to be seen!    In fact, yesterday was
Betelgeuse's heliacal setting day.  By this statement we mean that last
night was, well, the last night an observer would have been able to observe
Betelgeuse. Now, it will be totally obscured by dusk and won't return to
the sky until July 21st, the date of its heliacal rising. That will be the
date when Betelgeuse can be first observed in the predawn eastern sky. Of
course, its appearance will be fleeting and one will have to look quickly
to catch it .      Betelgeuse, and the other Orion stars, will be easier to
see by early to mid August.

So, if Betelgeuse appears to go supernova now, it will be exceedingly
difficult to see anything.  Granted, Betelgeuse will become spectacularly
bright for a few months and so it will be visible even when close to the
Sun and might still be visible in the daytime sky.  However, as it appears
so close to the Sun, observing it will prove exceedingly difficult.
 Having Betelgeuse detonate itself into eternal oblivion now would prove to
be a crashing disappointment.  Imagine going to your local state fair one
evening to watch the fireworks and while you're seated on the lawn enjoying
your deep fried candy bar slathered in caramel, dappled with almonds,
drizzled with powdered sugar and wrapped in your last will and testament
you find out that the pyrotechnic show that fair officials promised would
stagger Earth and offend Heaven had been rescheduled for the following week
in southern Antarctica.    You'd be a wee bit miffed.

[image: 18B9238E-72C6-45D6-AF49FECF2D40E3CA_source.jpg]
A telescopic view of Betelgeuse, the magnificent red supergiant star
marking Orion's eastern shoulder.     It has brightened considerably during
the last two weeks, leading some to expect it to burn out as a Type II
supernova.    For what it's worth, we hope it remains with us for at least
a few more months.  Many astrophysicists are assuring us that our
lamentations are unnecessary.  Betelgeuse isn't about to die anytime
soon.   Credit: ESO/Digitized Sky Survey 2. Acknowledgment: Davide De Marti
<https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso0927e/>

If Betelgeuse perishes into incandescence now, the spectacle will be, shall
we say, muted.  Given our choice, we'd want to see Betelgeuse erupt around
Christmas.  Not only would this bedazzling sight induce more Zoroastrian
priests to hasten across the desert again, it would afford all of us a
golden opportunity to see the event all night long.  And, believe you me,
what a sight that would be to behold.        A Type II supernova produces
as much energy as an entire galaxy. An exploded Betelgeuse will not only be
the brightest object in the night sky, but it would actually cast shadows
on us all, at least for a few months.  Eventually, the blaze would diminish
into invisibility.   Its ephemerality notwithstanding, it would put on an
incredible once-in a-millennium show.

So, if  planitive shouts from a subterranean planetarium that's so obscure
most people doubt its existence in the first place can make any difference,
no, Betelgeuse, not now.  Please wait a bit before you cast your vitality
into the receiving void!   Though we love you intensely, we all want a
front row seat when you die.

Of course, these desperate -not to mention pointless- calls might be wholly
unnecessary. Many astrophysicists contend that Betelgeuse is not even close
to its death knell.    Like all stars, it generates energy through
thermonuclear fusion reactions: fusing lighter elements into heavier ones
and in the process transmutes some of the initial matter into energy.
It is likely that this nine-million year old star is currently only in the
helium-burning stage: the time when it is converting helium into carbon.
Once it exhausts its core helium reserves, Betelgeuse will have to burn
through its carbon and then the oxygen it formed out of the carbon and then
the silicon that was created by the oxygen burning.  Only when it reaches
the point at which its core consists of pure iron heated to three billion
degrees will the delicate balance between gravitational compression and the
energy expansion be violently disrupted.  The outer layers will collapse
onto the core at half the speed of light.  This collapse will precipitate
the Type II supernova energetic enough to both create many of the elements
heavier than iron and to disperse this material throughout its local
galactic region.

Betelgeuse could explode between 10,000 - 1,000,000 years for now, if it is
indeed only working through the helium burning phase.  That means, of
course, that this gorgeous fire-opal star will continue to adorn our skies
throughout the remainder of our lives and those of many generations to
come.

Well, whenever Betelgeuse blasts itself into smithereens, let's hope it is
at least far enough from the Sun in our sky to give everyone a full and
clear view of the spectacle.   After all, Type II supernovae don't happen
every day...well, at least not in our sky.

*Before the deluge of complaints come gushing in, yes, we do understand
that we never see the stars as they are now. Instead, we see images of
stars as they appeared in the past.  For instance, Betelgeuse is 620 light
years away.  So, if we see Betelgeuse explode now, we'll actually be
watching an explosion that occurred 620 years ago.      It is unfortunate
that when humanity developed astronomy, it didn't spend a moment
considering the damage it would inflict onto verb tenses.

**The ability to harbor two wholly contradictory emotions simultaneously
and comfortably is a skill that only a person who spends years in isolated
observatories could possibly cultivate.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>