THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, April 4, 2023
April 2023 Night Sky Calendar  Part I: The Stars

Well, bah humbug and a bucket of November rain to the dyspeptic-souled
sourpuss who derided April as the 'cruelest month.'  While some might
describe the fourth month as a malevolent entity bent on malice and hatred,
some of us regard it as the most hopeful time of year.  Astronomically, we
are now seeing the winter star patterns descending inexorably in the west
while the summer stars ascend in the east: a harbinger of both the warmth
to come and the imminent departure of the winter chill.

Today we bid a fond  and temporary farewell to some constellations while
offering a hospitable welcome to those that are emerging into our evening
sky.

*ORION: descending*
[image: Orion-07db06a.jpg]
Animal-slaying, skirt-chasing, rabble-rousing, forest prowling, star
studded behemoth striding the winter sky like a celestial colossus.  On
those deep winter nights when you're nestled within a hands-breadth of the
hearth-flame and casting forlorn glances out the window into the dark and
serene infinitude, Orion is the fellow who returns your gaze.   As
resplendently attired as he is well armed, Orion has loomed larger than
life in Earth's skies since the murky prehistoric days.  Cast yourself back
15,000 years when our pristine shores were overburdened by mile-high
glaciers and you'd see essentially the same Orion following more or the
less the same path he follows now except that he was prominent back then in
the summer months, or what passed for summer during those perpetually
frigid days.      Now called a winter pattern owing to its prominence
between December and April, Orion will vanish into the dusk by mid-May only
to return to the pre-dawn skies of early August.  We have seen and
throughout our lives will continue to watch this transition each year.
Return in late summer, reaching prominence in winter and disappearing in
mid spring.        Over and over again: a comforting constant in a world
constantly in flux.    This month be sure to cast a wink at the departing
Orion and, as he did to the mammoths, Stonehenge architects and the long
line of long since deceased emperors,  he might well wink back.

*LEO THE LION: getting high*
[image: Leo-the-Lion-1.jpg]
Even by the lofty standards of the highly menacing and ferociously
formidable Panthera leo species, Leo was certainly not a cat with which
even the most intrepid would wish to trife.  Impervious to sword cuts,
arrow punctures and flames, this monstrous predator struck terror to the
ever shrinking Nernean population.    Such was the voraciousness of its
appetite and the power of its immense body that Leo's den was said to have
been piled ceiling high  with the polished bones of his hapless and
presumably tasty victims.    All was going swimmingly for the well-fed Leo
until the indomitable Heracles sought him out.   Desperate to atone for
atrocious crimes committed under the influence of one of Hera's spells,
Heracles was hellbent on performing a series of labors that would have made
short work of lesser men (in other words, all of us).     After Heracles
found Leo, however, even this mighty warrior was initially flummoxed.  He
spent a quiver of arrows and struck him with a sword a few dozen times
before realizing that the Nemean Lion bore nary a scratch from these
repeated assaults.       With nothing else for it, Heracles tossed away the
weapons and grappled with the lion.  Heracles prevailed and after
strangling the struggling demon cat, snapped off one of its claws and used
it to cut away its hide, which Heracles used as a cloak for the rest of his
immensely adventurous and exhausting life.  Hera, incensed at Heracles'
victory over Leo, hoisted the lion into the sky where it remains to this
day.  One can see this late winter constellation high in the southern early
evening sky.

*HERCULES: ascending*
[image: HerculesCC.jpg]
And speaking of the muscle-bound, lame-brained, but shrewd, volcanically
angry yet generally virtuous we now have  the muddled mess of entangled
contradictions named Hercules (the Roman moniker bestowed onto the Greek
Heracles.)  Sired over three long nights by Zeus and the beleaguered and
soon thereafter bed ridden Alcmene,  Hercules was arguably the most
powerfully built and martially inclined demi-god that ever pressed a foot
onto the receiving Earth.     To write of all his adventures and tabulate
his kills would require reams upon reams of legal sized paper.  So, suffice
it to say that Heracles made his mark on the world more than any other from
the time he throttled two serpents in his cradle when he was merely a day
old through the performance of his labors, the wars with the giants, the
quest for the golden fleece -which he admittedly abandoned to seek out a
missing lover- to the innumerable battles and conquests.  Although he
littered the mythological realms with a vast array of rotting cadavers,
Hercules remains to many the quintessential hero: endowed with prodigious
strength, undaunted courage, and a ferocious lust for life.   As the
fiercely hot -or what we we hope will be fiercely hot- summer days arrive,
the hot-blooded Hercules will loom high  in the firmament: an example of
both the bold and the bestial.

Tomorrow, we go through the month's celestial highlights.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER